Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB 12-10-19 supersed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB 12-10-19 supersed?

I brought my truck in today to TRY and get a new CAC under 12-10-19 I knew the CAC was on back order and I asked to just order one with no luck they needed to assess it....

The adviser refused to order the new CAC because it wasn't throwing a code. Id ask him if he would prefer that i just roast another cat and the way I read 12-10-19 was you replace the CAC no matter what. (I could be wrong) I asked to see the TSB and after about 5 min of him on the computer he pulled up a TSB 13-3- something that superseded 12-10-19 and it reads different id like to get my hands on that TSB.

A little background
My truck was in on 12/9/28 where the cat was replaced as well as an O2 sensor as well as an oil leak from the bell housing. it has gone into limp mode about 6 times since i have had it. its a 2012 FX4 with the 3.73 gears and 285/55 R20 E rated tires i drive all highway at 100km/hr and i have averaged 14.7mpg over the past 8000Km

Im about to go to full race and buy a new inter cooler but im sure they would void my warranty.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

That's crap. I would be pissed if my dealership didn't replace my CAC like it states in the TSB. I just got my TSB update about 4 weeks ago and the truck runs better than ever. My truck never showed a code and never toasted a Cat, but it did have the fall on its face issue which happened to me only 4 times in the 1 1/2 years of owning my truck. I'm puzzled why some dealership treat there customers like crap. It's not like they have to pay for it out of there own pockets. After reading all the horror stories on here about how dealership treat there customers and how long people were having to wait for the CAC update I was on the defensive going to my dealership. I told my service manager the problem and to my surprise he said "We can take your Truck tomorrow morning and do the TSB update" 4 1/2hrs later had my truck back...... I was shocked to say the least. My dealership apparently had 5 new CAC kits in stock and the TSB update '0' wait time. So I would take it to another dealership if you have one close by.

On a side note. The service manager did tell me that there was another update coming out this summer. The new CAC will have the letter V at the beginning of the part # and told me to come back if I have any problems. Very happy with Cook Whitehead Ford dealership great customer service and care.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM

No this guy was a total dick, the next closest dealerships are 2+ hours away he said he would only replace it if it throws a code. And even when it goes into limp mode it does not seem to throw a code. TSB 12-10-19 is pretty clear about replacing the CAC no matter what but this new one he let me look at for 10 sec is not. Ill be phoning ford customer service because that seems to be my only form of action aside from driving 2+ hours to another dealer..
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 PM

I agree. Sorry about that, I would be doing the same thing. Don't know how far Panama City FL is from where you live, but it might be a chance to take a vacation and drop your truck off at my Dealership. Sun, White Sand, and a cool beverage here in the Gulf Coast.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM

That sounds about right. I'm in northern Canada. Its about 36 hours non stop according to Google. We still have a few feet of snow on the ground here which could be adding to my bitterness over the truck. I need a vacation!

I might just pay the $20 to motorcraft to see the TSB for now so I have something to go on... I pulled out my records and they have never even re-programmed the computer. I truly think id be better off with a intercooler tune and new plugs but the warranty issues with a 60k+ MSRP truck scare me

Last edited by dpleli; 03-05-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM

FORD:
2011-2012 F-150
This article supersedes TSB 12-10-19 to update the Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-150 equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost engine may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds during high humid or damp conditions. This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC s) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present. Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTC's.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Acquire Misfire Freeze Frame Data and DTC�s with the IDS. Use the following steps with IDS to obtain Misfire Freeze Frame Data.
    1. Select Toolbox
    2. Then Data Logger
    3. Then Modules
    4. Then PCM
    5. Next select the following PIDS: MFF_LOAD and MFF_RPM
  2. Check for DTC P0430. Is DTC P0430 present?
    1. Yes - replace the left bank catalytic converter assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 3.
    2. No - Proceed to Step 3.
  3. Is the misfire concern only repeatable in humid or damp conditions?
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 4
    2. No - this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control Emission Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual Section 3: Powertrain Symptom Index to inspect such areas as Ignition, Compression, and Injection.
  4. Does the Misfire Freeze Frame Data indicate engine speed above 2500 RPM and load 100% or above? (Figure 1)
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 5.
    2. No - this article does not apply. Refer to PC/ED Manual Section 3: Powertrain Symptom Index to inspect such areas as Ignition, Compression, and Injection.
  6. Is the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) equipped with an air deflector plate? (Figure 2A)
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 8.
    2. No - proceed to Step 6.
  7. Install a new CAC, new air deflector plate, and original shield using new retaining push pins. Refer to WSM, Section 303-12. (Figure 2B) Proceed to Step 7.
  8. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.02A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
  9. Install a new CAC and the original air deflector plate and shield using new retaining push pins. Refer WSM, Section 303-12.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM

$20 for what?? There is a thread on this Fourm that has the TSB straight from Ford. You don't need to spend $20 when it's FREE. Just copy it to your clipboard and print it out.

Never mind you got it..lol lol
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Does any one know what
"Acquire Misfire Freeze Frame Data" is? is this when we get the flashing CEL?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM

This is a new TSB released 2 days ago I havent seen this one... I could be wrong and just wasted $20
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM

It states "IT MIGHT" throw a code. Even my dealership told me that I could get a CEL light without a code being stored.

Quick Reply: TSB 12-10-19 supersed?