Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Transmission Lines

Just picked up a 2012 XLT Screw 4x4 w/ 5.0. I've owned a few Rangers in the past, but this is my first full size truck. I've been doing a lot of research on the truck with the wealth of information here, and on the interwebs in general. I am going to use my new-to-me F-150 for towing my Jeep and give the wife's Tahoe a retirement from towing duties.

I need to add an additional transmission cooler. This vehicle does not have the max tow package. While examining the transmission fluid lines which run to the stock cooler mounted in the drivers side of the radiator, I can not tell which line is supply and which is return. Does anyone have info on which is which? (Yes, I have used the search function many times before asking).

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Don't know why our trucks would be any different but the top like should come FROM trans. The lower line will take fluid back to trans.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Z7What (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you sure you don't have the stock cooler? You don't need max tow, just the standard tow package will have the stock cooler. I'm pretty sure even the max tow uses the same cooler but just has heavier suspension and different gearing. It's a pretty small cooler but I've not heard of anyone having overheating issues. The transmission fluid temp is actually controlled by its own thermostat, so as long as you are within your tow rating you should be fine. If you are adding a cooler to exceed your rated tow capacity you may be headed for disaster without also changing your gearing.

Has anyone added a second auxiliary cooler for lower Temps when towing, like in the mountains? I've always added them to my vehicles except for my last F150 (that had a huge factory cooler compared to the factory cooler on my 2012 with tow package).
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Yes, I do have the stock cooler which is integrated into the radiator. I plan on adding an aux cooler for additional trans cooling for towing in desert heat, and up mountain passes in CA. My load is around 7,200 lbs with 3.55 gearing. Thanks for the pics, those will help with my install.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Take some pictures and maybe a write up of your install? At 7200 pounds you are right about at your tow limit with 3.55 gears even with the factory auxiliary transmission cooler. I've toyed with the idea of replacing the small oem auxiliary cooler with a larger stacked plate model like the previous generation trucks used but wonder if, in practice, anything more than the factory auxiliary cooler is really needed to keep Temps under control?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Willard5.0 - Yes, I do have the stock cooler which is integrated into the radiator. ...
Just in case you don't already know ...

Be sure that the aux' cooler is installed on the return line to the transmission and after/down-stream-from any other cooler. For extreme cases, consider installing a cooling fan for the aux' cooler.

Have fun stormin' the castle!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
Take some pictures and maybe a write up of your install? At 7200 pounds you are right about at your tow limit with 3.55 gears even with the factory auxiliary transmission cooler. I've toyed with the idea of replacing the small oem auxiliary cooler with a larger stacked plate model like the previous generation trucks used but wonder if, in practice, anything more than the factory auxiliary cooler is really needed to keep Temps under control?
My plan is to use an aftermarket cooler, something with 6 to 7 passes in it. Something along these lines.

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Just in case you don't already know ...

Be sure that the aux' cooler is installed on the return line to the transmission and after/down-stream-from any other cooler. For extreme cases, consider installing a cooling fan for the aux' cooler.

Have fun stormin' the castle!
Roger that, thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmission Lines