Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transfer case motor

Here is a brief history. I have a 2012 f150 lariat with 5.0 with 90,000 miles. Since I bought the truck I have had problems with the drivers side front wheel. A grinding noise at low speeds when the temp was below 35.The dealership couldn't figure out what it was so they cut all my rotors thinkinkin that was the issue. NOT! To make a long story short. The engineers from ford came and looked at it. New transfer case was installed. Guess what. That didn't fix it either. Finally the IWE replaced and solved the problem for about two weeks. Dealership called it quits and told me they couldn't and wouldn't fix the issue again. I did convince them to put another IWE in. All is well because the weather got warm. The noise is back now all the time. I have vacuum at the solenoid in 2wd and gone at 4wd as it should. The tires are not locking in 4wd as it should. Am I to assume that the transfer case motor is gone as well as the IWE?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Check the vac lines.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 PM

Checked the lines. The front drive shaft spins when I spin the tire when it's jacked up and in 4. The tire should be locked right? Engaging 4wd engages both axles which means the Iwe is operating. So vacuum is present. That is why I. thinking transfer case motor
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I have had an intermittent grinding noise from my front end for several years. Only a couple times a year, and only between about 40 and 55 mph. I suspect it is an IWE issue based on what I have read and the sounds it is making. I did the vacuum test that is included in one of the threads on this forum. Everything checked out fine, including blowing into and sucking on the inline check valve. So last weekend I went ahead and changed out the two easiest items to replace - the solenoid valve and the check valve - just to try something. And while I was playing with the old check valve, blowing into it and then sucking back through it, it suddenly stopped functioning properly. Then it started working right again. I can't say for sure that this was my problem, but I'm optimistic. Time will tell. You may want to start with your check valve (my 2010 only has one, but other years may have two). Good luck!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy11
Checked the lines. The front drive shaft spins when I spin the tire when it's jacked up and in 4. The tire should be locked right? Engaging 4wd engages both axles which means the Iwe is operating. So vacuum is present. That is why I. thinking transfer case motor
Not exactly sure what you are saying, but the vacuum disengages the wheel from the shaft. So vacuum present at the wheel means 2wd, and no vacuum means 4wd.

Btw, I had to replace my transfer case motor a few weeks ago. It gave a "check 4x4" message on the dash and a code. If you are not getting any codes or messages, it is probably not your transfer case motor.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:54 AM

I know that. I was just stating that vacuum was present at the IWE. Seems that the grinding noise is is the IWE which seems to be a common problem. The front shaft not engaging has me baffled.