Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade for older model?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trade for older model?

I have a 2014 ecoboost XLT Supercab with 37000mi. Leather, HID headlamps, Etc....I love the truck, no real issues, but I HATE the small cab.

I have been browsing dealerships and found a 2013 platinum 5.0 with 79000miles for $26k.... that would keep me in the same payment range as my current truck.

Need the cab space, and the platinum upgrades are nice...

Anyone have an opinion as to whether I should pursue trading my 14 for a 13 with far more miles. I only drive 10-12k miles per year.

Is this a good upgrade, or am I star struck with this platinum...
Old 01-26-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmjennings23

Is this a good upgrade, or am I star struck with this platinum...
Both^^

I just recently traded my 2011 F150 XTR 507a Supercrew black 5.0 V8 4x4 3:55 in on my dream truck,newer 2014 F150 Platinum loaded 700a Supercrew black exterior/black interior 5.0 4x4 3:55,and love love love it.

That or try to find a Platinum with a little less miles but inexchange for a little more money.

Last edited by BUILTTOLAST; 01-26-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go test drive it and inspect everything thoroughly. If it drives well and everything looks good then the only thing you will lose is the warranty, but you can purchase and extended warranty if that's what you want.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Payments are irrelevant. Dealers play with payments to take advantage of people. You need to be looking at the actual costs. Is it the same payment for only the remaining term on the 2014 that you bought? Unlikely.

What you spent on your truck, the equity you have in it, what the dealership is offering on your truck as a trade, what the new truck is going to cost you, ....
Old 01-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

I'm curious, what do you need the extra space for?

If it's a space issue for tools/stuff, perhaps you could spend a couple hundred bucks on some organizing options vs. thousands for a new to you truck?

Chances are good it's not that simple, especially when having multiple children, pets or lots of travel are involved, but just thought I'd ask.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Payments are irrelevant. Dealers play with payments to take advantage of people. You need to be looking at the actual costs. ...
This^^

Always negotiate off purchase price,never monthly payments.
First words out of sales people's mouths will be "What are looking for your monthly payment to be?"
"I'm looking for my payments to be $500 per month max"
"Well we can't do $500 per month but we can do $526 per month,what's an extra $26 per month?"
That's how you end up paying full price.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by FerdinandF150
I'm curious, what do you need the extra space for?

If it's a space issue for tools/stuff, perhaps you could spend a couple hundred bucks on some organizing options vs. thousands for a new to you truck?

Chances are good it's not that simple, especially when having multiple children, pets or lots of travel are involved, but just thought I'd ask.
I am a contractor and just about everyday the box is loaded with materials, and the tools I need are in a toolbox, and LOADED in the back of my cab.

I had two super crews loaned to me for a few days at a time when the dealership had my truck, and it was so nice to have the extra cab room.

Plus, I hunt, take trips camping...etc, that would be a much better experience for passengers in a super crew.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BUILTTOLAST
This^^

Always negotiate off purchase price,never monthly payments.
First words out of sales people's mouths will be "What are looking for your monthly payment to be?"
"I'm looking for my payments to be $500 per month max"
"Well we can't do $500 per month but we can do $526 per month,what's an extra $26 per month?"
That's how you end up paying full price.
Great point, that is one of the first things the saleman asked me, what do you pay now monthly, and what's your payoff.

I told them...

But I won't budge unless the purchase price, and trade-in numbers reflect a good deal. FWIW they are asking 26,400 for this platinum with 79,000. I think it would be fair to go for 24-25k.

It is not urgent for me to get into a different truck, but it really would be nice to have a super crew, not to mention a platinum....
Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Crotchety Old Man

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I run a supercab for work. Have you thought of a canopy/topper/cap or something like a Decked storage solution?
Is the supercrew you are looking at a 5.5' box or 6.5' box? If its a 5.5 you gain cab space and lose box space. Plus, I dont like the back of my XLT SCAB filled with my hand tool bags and drill bag and random small parts, and I have a canvass drop cloth over the floor and folded up rear seat. I would like it even less if I had a higher end trim truck with more stuff to scratch and break.
The following users liked this post:
FerdinandF150 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by GrasslandHVAC
I run a supercab for work. Have you thought of a canopy/topper/cap or something like a Decked storage solution?
Is the supercrew you are looking at a 5.5' box or 6.5' box? If its a 5.5 you gain cab space and lose box space. Plus, I dont like the back of my XLT SCAB filled with my hand tool bags and drill bag and random small parts, and I have a canvass drop cloth over the floor and folded up rear seat. I would like it even less if I had a higher end trim truck with more stuff to scratch and break.
It does have a 5'5 box, so I would lose some box space, but the toolbox in my box now essentially makes it a 5'5. By having a super crew, I can fit a 50gal job box with most tools without it touching anything in the cab, eliminate the tool box, still have half the cab open, and still have box space for material. I couldn't run any kind of tonneau, or cap with the work I do...

Maybe I'm fishing for reasons to get into another truck....