Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow haul button, what does it do

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Tow haul button, what does it do

I assumed it took the truck out of overdrive,,,but when I press it going 65 in 6th gear the light comes on in the dash but I don't notice a down shift ??
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Did you check the owners manual for information?

Excerpted from the owners manual ...

• Activate the tow/haul feature to eliminate excessive transmission shifting and assist in transmission cooling. ...

D (Drive) with Tow/Haul On
The Tow/Haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a
trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when
using Tow/Haul.

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Drive) position; this engine braking will slow
the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal
being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based
upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.

NOTE: There is no overdrive persay, it's just that the 6th gear ratio is 0.69:1 and 5th gear is 0.86:1

(owner's manual) Don't have one -OR- would like a digital, searchable desktop document?
Owner's Manuals ««« -click-

» Select Your Year [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Make [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Model [ Choose One ]
»

Last edited by gDMJoe; 07-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gDMJoe:
Dunrollin (07-29-2018), RLXXI (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

It keeps in in lower gears for longer periods and will downshift automatically when going down hill. Older trucks had a similar switch to lock out OD, but that is all they did. When engaged the truck may well not shift into 6th, and rarely even 5th if under a heavy load.

There is no overdrive persay, it's just that the 6th gear ratio is 0.69:1 and 5th gear is 0.86:1
Any ratio less than 1:1 is overdrive.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Maximum Overdrive.... when the machines take over. No this ain't Terminator LOL

The following 3 users liked this post by RLXXI:
BlackKnight81 (07-24-2018), BRUTE448 (07-29-2018), pilotib (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

marshallr ... Any ratio less than 1:1 is overdrive.
T'is true, however, was referring to the fact that there is no OD lock-out switch that was previously available (that you noted). MEANING: Enabling Tow/Haul does not disable/lock-out 5th or 6th gears.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Was towing my 27 ft. travel trailer the other day in Tow/Haul mode, and using manual shift, locked out 5th & 6th gear. RPM's kept about 2200 or so and truck ran very well. I also got right around 14mpg too. I did have the MPT 87 Performance Tow w/No Trans Tuning installed. I liked it.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Van
I assumed it took the truck out of overdrive,,,but when I press it going 65 in 6th gear the light comes on in the dash but I don't notice a down shift ??
I have read the information in the manual; I have also read other websites about it.
I have a 2013 Ford F150 XL with a 3.7L V6 and a 6-speed transmission.
I live near Las Vegas, NV and I'm driving through mountains quite often.

My experience with TOW/HAUL enabled:

1. It keeps the truck from "running-away"/up-shifting when driving down a mountain or steep hill.
2. The catch: Along with #1, it will sometimes downshift during this and make the engine scream --- it would be holding the speed just fine and then it does this unnecessary downshift. I immediately hit the button twice - to turn this horrible mode off and then back on. I don't know what he engine can really handle but downshifting to 2nd at 40 or 50 MPH doesn't sound good.
3. When using it while towing... at least on the highway, all it seems to do is severely lower my MPG. However, in town, maybe it does help with the reduced number of shifts.
4. It will sometimes prevent my truck from shifting... it seems to get "locked" in 3rd or 4th and won't change. I turn it off or turn it off and back on and then it starts shifting normally again.

This transmission had a recall for a programming issue where someone would be driving along and it would suddenly downshift to 1st. My truck has done this once. I made a quick and probably-too-fast u-turn on a divided 4-lane road... it was the entrance to a golf resort and no one was around. After making the u-turn, and going just a short distance, maybe 30 or 40 feet; it downshifted to first and would not change gears. No matter what I did with the gear shift..
I dropped it in Neutral and stopped. I took off again in Drive, it still was stuck in 1st.
I stopped again and put it M/Manual. I took off in 1st and tried to upshift, it was stuck in 1st.
I put in in Neutral, shut off the truck and then restarted the truck and it resumed shifting normally.
That was 2 to 3 years ago and it hasn't done it since.
I mentioned the recall. The recall described exactly what happened to me. However, that recall did not cover 2013 models.

Last edited by tlm550; 07-28-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Tow haul button, what does it do