Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topper Price Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Topper Price Feedback

Hey, looking for a little feedback. I'm looking to get a new topper for my truck. I built a carpeted platform at wheel well height inside to use as a sleeping platform for camping so I want a taller than cab height topper. My options are Snugtop Hi Liner Sport, Leer 180 and A.R.E. MX Series. I got a quote for all three (with carpeted headliner, sliding front and side windows) and the Leer and Snugtop are $1650 and A.R.E at $1599. The Snugtop has the nicer rear frameless door but otherwise they are pretty similar.

Looking for feedback on fit and finish, hardware, etc and also what everyone thinks of these prices if you are familiar with what they should cost. I am in Denver in case that helps.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Snugtop

I don't have any experience with actually owning a Leer or ARE top. I do have a snugtop xtra vision and have been extremely happy with it so far. When I was researching tops, I came to the conclusion that snugtop had better fit and finish than the other two based on reading several threads. While the vast majority of topper owners were happy with their tops, there were a couple here and there that issues with the leer and are but I never read any negative comments about the snugtop. The snugtop also has a thick top that is pretty well insulated and makes the topper more rigid. I got mine used off of craigslist as it came off of a 2010 F150. My 2013 F150 is oxford white and pretty easy to color match so I can't comment to that aspect as my top and truck look the same color. Even with an age difference of 3 years the colors matched perfectly. I did read that people had issues with color matching the tri-coat colors (I don't know if that applies to you or not). Your quote for the snugtop seems really good. When I was looking to buy new, I was quoted just under $2400. I'm biased but I would go with the snugtop, especially at that price.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by e3troy
I don't have any experience with actually owning a Leer or ARE top. I do have a snugtop xtra vision and have been extremely happy with it so far. When I was researching tops, I came to the conclusion that snugtop had better fit and finish than the other two based on reading several threads. While the vast majority of topper owners were happy with their tops, there were a couple here and there that issues with the leer and are but I never read any negative comments about the snugtop. The snugtop also has a thick top that is pretty well insulated and makes the topper more rigid. I got mine used off of craigslist as it came off of a 2010 F150. My 2013 F150 is oxford white and pretty easy to color match so I can't comment to that aspect as my top and truck look the same color. Even with an age difference of 3 years the colors matched perfectly. I did read that people had issues with color matching the tri-coat colors (I don't know if that applies to you or not). Your quote for the snugtop seems really good. When I was looking to buy new, I was quoted just under $2400. I'm biased but I would go with the snugtop, especially at that price.
Thanks for the input; I have a white FX4; so it's the basic white. I've been searching craigslist for a while and haven't had any luck yet, so thought about just buying a new one rather than a used one and dealing with painting, etc.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

e3toy speaks truth. After my "Leer experience" I will always buy SnugTop. Super happy with my newest/latest SnugTop. Fit-n-finish is just better, especially the interior and the securing hardware.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a SnugTop.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had both leer and a.r.e, won't have leer again. Fiberglass delaminates on roof on one, and blow out on side rail on the other

Quick Reply: Topper Price Feedback