Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature related sync issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Temperature related sync issue?

Has anyone had any termperature related sync issues? It dropped to -11F here today and my sync would not get one address book entry correct when I asked it to call. This happened EVERY time today. Not one successful attempt. I asked it to dial a number and it entered and dialed the number perfectly. It's supposed to warm up to a balmy +27F tomorrow so we'll see if sync can actually recognize a contact correctly. I'll see what it does tomorrow and report back. Maybe it has nothing to do with temps and maybe it's just got a screw loose

Any similar issues?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm up in NE south dakota, the lows have been getting down to -20F. I recently have been having the issue where in the morning when i start my truck the MFT doesnt play any music for about 5 seconds then when it does come up it switches my output from sirius to FM. After I correct that though then it works fine.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually thinking today that mine acts up when it gets colder out, although I live in PA and it's nowhere close to -20. It will be interesting to see if anyone else experiences this.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't yet had any issues with my F150, but it kinda makes sense. I fly a line of pretty "technologically advanced" airliners (Embraer 145), and spent 5 years flying one that's even more computerized (E170), and we have all kinds of issues in the cold. For some crazy reason, the computers don't like to start up and act right when you get the crazy cold temps. The 170 has almost no relays - all computers. We'd frequently find ourselves powering up the plane, starting the APU, warming everything up, and then shutting it down and repeating the process to clear all of the spurious messages and faults. I'd imagine that these newer vehicles are getting the same way.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The temps were above zero last night and at +21F today and the sync works fine. Very strange.....
Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The only issue I've had that seems to be temperature related is it seems the flash drive I had connected was causing me problems when it got below 10F outside. I did a little research and found that the lower end of the operating band for a typical flash drive is +32F.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I get no sound from mine when it gets that cold , drive it around , shut it off , turn it back on works again ......
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemirunner
The temps were above zero last night and at +21F today and the sync works fine. Very strange.....
Hello Hemirunner,

The issue you've described hasn't been associated with temp-related concerns as of yet. Slow startup and choppy functionality are among the primary symptoms we're aware of. It's possible your blowers could be interfering with SYNC's voice recognition accuracy. After a couple attempts I could see you resorting to the DIAL command while inadvertently turning down the heat once the car warms up. This might explain why the DIAL works when CALL doesn't. For the time being, I recommend monitoring the occurrence and see if there does appear to be some sort of weather-related pattern. There are a few service bulletins out there regarding diminished functionality due to extreme cold, but I can't say for sure yet if this is related.

Antonio
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by from_behind
I haven't yet had any issues with my F150, but it kinda makes sense. I fly a line of pretty "technologically advanced" airliners (Embraer 145), and spent 5 years flying one that's even more computerized (E170), and we have all kinds of issues in the cold. For some crazy reason, the computers don't like to start up and act right when you get the crazy cold temps. The 170 has almost no relays - all computers. We'd frequently find ourselves powering up the plane, starting the APU, warming everything up, and then shutting it down and repeating the process to clear all of the spurious messages and faults. I'd imagine that these newer vehicles are getting the same way.

Does that mean that we might be in trouble when the weather gets cold at 25000ft?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N E Time

Does that mean that we might be in trouble when the weather gets cold at 25000ft?
Hehehe - only if the pilots are asleep. LOL

No, we only have the issues when the planes are cold-soaked. Once we're in flight, that seems avionics get some hot that a failure of one of the cooling fans is nearly cause for an emergency landing. LOL

Quick Reply: Temperature related sync issue?