Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Straps: Either one is too long or one is too short

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 PM
jackbjr75

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tailgate Straps: Either one is too long or one is too short

I took my truck into the shop for several issue and one of my complaints was that the tailgate straps had uneven lengths. Ive owned several pick up and Broncos over the years and none of the tailgate check straps were ever uneven lengths. According to the Service manager who spoke with the Ford Tech Hotline this is how the 2011's are supposed to be. This is to correct several issue with the tailgate straps breaking according to Ford. Well I'm not an Engineer yet but it would seem to me if you place all the load on one strap instead of both straps it would cause the one strap taking the brunt of the load to snap first then the other to snap instead of evenly distributing the load across both tailgate straps to allow for a higher load rating. The other issue I have with this is the tail gate could possibly twist or slightly bend if heavily loaded and the one side of the tail gate is taking the brunt of the load instead of being supported on both sides. Call me crazy but just doesnt seem right.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please search the forums before posting a thread and before taking it into a dealership (wasting yours and their time). This is a known topic and yes, it is supposed to be that way. Has been this way since at least 2009, possibly even before then (I did not own a f150 before 2009 so I'm not sure on that). I'm not an engineer either, but I'm sure they have designed it this way for one beneficial way or another.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
Please search the forums before posting a thread and before taking it into a dealership (wasting yours and their time). This is a known topic and yes, it is supposed to be that way. Has been this way since at least 2009, possibly even before then (I did not own a f150 before 2009 so I'm not sure on that). I'm not an engineer either, but I'm sure they have designed it this way for one beneficial way or another.
What a jerk...
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The cables are not different lengths . The torque tube in the tailgate lifts one side up just a little. Will even out with a slight load on tailgate. Been that way for years.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
Please log off!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by WOEII
Please log off!
x2 That guy is joke! He needs to stop sitting on his head and typing and the same time.He sounds like an as$hole.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

It's hard to tell from these pictures, but the cables on my 2010 are both the same size.
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Straps: Either one is too long or one is too short-img_3558.jpg   Tailgate Straps: Either one is too long or one is too short-img_3559.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's the sam way on my 08. Dealership swapped it out but there was no difference!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDFTS
What a jerk...
Originally Posted by WOEII
Please log off!
Originally Posted by ToughFX4
x2 That guy is joke! He needs to stop sitting on his head and typing and the same time.He sounds like an as$hole.
How does replying to his answer instead of just saying "SEARCH" and not answering (like many of our other members do), make me a jerk or an *******?

Maybe because I've been on this forum longer than any of you and actually know what I'm talking about, or have seen no less than 4 or 5 other thread topics exactly like this before? Like I said, it's a known issue; not a defect in any way.

If y'all think my response was mean in any way, you need to tone down your estrogen levels a tad.....
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

SportTracoF150:

He wouldn't know theres been any other posts about this. He literally joined yesterday. I'm sure he's not gonna spend all his time looking for one post about this problem when he can just ask and get a response. He'd be there looking for a post for who knows how long. Of course you've probably seen some, cause like you said, you've been a member for longer than any of us have been.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Straps: Either one is too long or one is too short