Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Sound from underside

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Sound from underside

So, my 2010 F-150 Lariat (5.4L, 4X4) is making a 'funky' sound. It sounds like a drill bit hitting metal at almost a right angle to the metal. There's no noticeable power loss, hesitation, or the like, hut I do feel a bit of a vibration through the floor and my seat. I had it at the mechanic yesterday, and we don't see anything scraping, the u-joints checked out ok, all the plates are secure, however, even though it's hollow, it feels as though something in the drive shaft may have come loose, almost like there's a sleeve inside a sleeve and the inner sleeve is moving when it shouldn't. Also, this sound doesn't occur when the engine, tranny, and transfer case are cold. When the sound is there, it's usually only there at different speeds between 20 and 55 mph, most notably at approx. 23, 38, and 50 mph. Sometimes the sound is a low rumble, other times, it's not as low a pitch, but still in the lower ranges. I've tried taking the O/D off (turn on the tow/haul), and it minimizes the sound, but it primarily makes it the low rumble vice. Additionally, I've put the transfer case into 4-Hi, and there's no difference. It doesn't to it at highway speeds (65+ ,mph), only at the lower speeds mentioned above. The tranny was serviced about 2 weeks ago, and this has only been happening about a week. The rear-diff was serviced about a year ago, with the friction modifier, so they're good.

Anyone have anything like this happen? If so, what was the issue and what was the fix?
Old 06-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not as experienced as other users so I need really good explanations to help me understand whats going on -- and I'm kinda lost in your description of the noises and symptoms you're experiencing...

A lot of times when wheel bearings go out they can make very aggressive metal on metal type noises. The noises you're describing could also potentially be an IWE. Typically the IWE failure noise will increase with vehicle speed...but there are always exceptions to the rules.

Where exactly is the noise coming from? How confident are you that your symptoms aren't being caused by a wheel bearing failure or IWE failure?

Other users might mention slip yoke problems -- but the noises you described sound a little too harsh to be that....

Hopefully, another user will chime in soon.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:27 PM

The symptoms are almost like a grinding, but not quite. I don't know exactly where the sound is coming from (part of the problem). I've heard the sound from wheel bearings, but it was mostly a high pitched squeal as the bearings were being shredded. That being said, I'm not all that confident that it's not a wheel-bearing, however, I don't believe it's a bearing as it just passed inspection about a month ago, and that's definitely something they check since I got hit with it on an earlier model F-150. I honestly don't know what it is or where it's coming from (other than underneath), but for the most part is sounds more like it's coming from the rear half of the truck. I have noticed it's minimized, as in doesn't happen as much when the O/D is off, and it doesn't happen on hard acceleration, nor when it's 'coasting'. I just drove it about 1200 miles, and it's worst in traffic, (unless O/D is off), and when I slow down due to traffic and then speed back up. I've ordered some sensors to narrow down the location so I'll have a better idea, I'm just trying to see if someone else has experienced it.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The first thing you need to do is pinpoint the location of the noise, without knowing that you will never repair the concern, this is what we used when I worked at the dealer to do so,
Chassis Ears Chassis Ears
then diagnostics can begin.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 PM

These descriptions are still throwing me off some -- not that it helps you narrow down this noise at all, but wheel bearing inspection isn't something that is done regularly during state inspection...If it was something they caught last time and failed you for -- I imagine the problem was bad enough at the time that they could hear it and the sound never went away.

Based on what I was able to gather from your latest description it sounds like it could potentially be transmission related? I would think that if there was something making this much noise in your transmission though, something catastrophic likely would have happened by now. Or at least, things would really not be working correctly at all.

I suspect the conditions leading up to your noises/problems are largely unrelated to whatever is causing the issue. I can't tell you how many times I've begun to think I was narrowing down what was causing something, only to find out it was a huge coincidence
Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Ewing
So, my 2010 F-150 Lariat (5.4L, 4X4) is making a 'funky' sound. It sounds like a drill bit hitting metal at almost a right angle to the metal. There's no noticeable power loss, hesitation, or the like, hut I do feel a bit of a vibration through the floor and my seat. I had it at the mechanic yesterday, and we don't see anything scraping, the u-joints checked out ok, all the plates are secure, however, even though it's hollow, it feels as though something in the drive shaft may have come loose, almost like there's a sleeve inside a sleeve and the inner sleeve is moving when it shouldn't. Also, this sound doesn't occur when the engine, tranny, and transfer case are cold. When the sound is there, it's usually only there at different speeds between 20 and 55 mph, most notably at approx. 23, 38, and 50 mph. Sometimes the sound is a low rumble, other times, it's not as low a pitch, but still in the lower ranges. I've tried taking the O/D off (turn on the tow/haul), and it minimizes the sound, but it primarily makes it the low rumble vice. Additionally, I've put the transfer case into 4-Hi, and there's no difference. It doesn't to it at highway speeds (65+ ,mph), only at the lower speeds mentioned above. The tranny was serviced about 2 weeks ago, and this has only been happening about a week. The rear-diff was serviced about a year ago, with the friction modifier, so they're good.

Anyone have anything like this happen? If so, what was the issue and what was the fix?
Im going to go out on a limb here but are you sure it isnt an exhaust shield rattling? What you describe is almost the same thing.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM

Good catch Dan.

My truck's heat shield rattles pretty much after every startup when I'm driving at shuttling speeds
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM

I apologize that my descriptions of the sound isn't as good as it could be, but as I'm sure as y'all know, sounds are some of the most difficult things to diagnose & describe as we all tend to use descriptors that we individually relate to. With that being said, I think (not sure yet) I've eliminated the IWE as a source...I pulled Fuse 29 in the battery junction box (10amp Integrated Wheel End (IWE) solenoid fuse) and there's no change in the sound. I've already ordered and have the Steelman Wireless (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00123J79O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00123J79O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
) system, however, I won't have access to them until Sunday when I return home. Once I "nail" down where the sound is, and troubleshoot what the cause is, I'll update y'all on it after I fix it. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

As to the heat shield...as I said initially, we checked the plates and shield and they were all secure...because that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Since it hasn't thrown a code at me, I'm pretty sure it's not transmission related, as the only code I'm getting is for the Fuel Filler Inlet (and I've already got the new part for that since the quick fix of cleaning the filler opening didn't work), and as far as the wheel bearings, I'm pretty sure VA inspection covers them, but thinking about it, it may only be if a ball joint is going. Yet thinking of that, if it were a wheel bearing, wouldn't it be a more constant sound and vary with speed? With this sound, when it hits, I either take my foot off the accelerator and it stops, or I power through it and it stops until next time it generally makes it's presence known...until I hit 65mph....then I don't hear (or feel) it.

I'm planning on narrowing it down Sunday after I get back home...and hopefully get it fixed shortly thereafter.

Last edited by Pete Ewing; 06-22-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 PM

My heat shield is secure and tight but it still rattles regularly. Mine vibrates out of resonance created by the exhaust pipe.

I'm not a bearing professional -- but with vehicles and mechanical components, there are 50 shades of failure type.

What is a "VA inspection"?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:43 PM

Ok, so I got back home and finally was able to use my new wireless chassis ears...and after about an hour of tracing, the noise is coming from the transfer case. I narrowed it down, and ended up with one sensor on the transfer case and one on the rear of the transmission. The noise level from the transfer case was off the scale (I had to turn the volume down and the lights were still full on) and I could hear it a little through the sensor attached to the rear of the transmission...so, the transfer case seems to be the culprit. So, question now is...do I replace it or have it rebuilt?

Rougen123... thanks for the suggestions and all, I re-verified that all the plates and shields were tight and didn't rattle or vibrate. Also, to answer your question, a VA inspection is a Virginia State Safety Inspection. Here in Virginia it's required annually.

Last edited by Pete Ewing; 06-24-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Strange Sound from underside