Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering

Ok, I really don't know what to say or how to say it, because its a little hard to describe. But, ill give it a shot, so bear with me. My steering feels funny. Not like something is broke funny, or even that something isn't right funny. It just feels very touchy, very easy to move the steering wheel. Instead of a nice drive down the highway, I feel like I am always having to make minor adjustments to keep it in the lane. I am thinking an alignment may be in order, just to check and see if that helps. But the tires are wearing nicely though. So, not really expecting much there. Truck has right at 20,000 miles on it, and just passed its inspection, so not thinking that anything is actually wrong or broke. Anybody else feel this way about there truck? Any ideas? Alignment, tires, shocks?

2014 Super crew, 3.5, 4X4, XLT
Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Just get the truck? The EPAS system is a bit different than regular power steering you might be used to.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Ya, that's kinda what I was thinking.... It's a different type of system, so it's going to feel different. Just wondering if there is anything we can do to make it feel more like I'm use to.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Mine felt really disconnected is the best way I can describe before it went. At 20k miles it would be abnormal for yours to go out but just keep an eye on it. You will get warnings before it goes.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry63028
Ya, that's kinda what I was thinking.... It's a different type of system, so it's going to feel different. Just wondering if there is anything we can do to make it feel more like I'm use to.
Not really, provided the rack isn't going out you might have the alignment checked, tires/pressure.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Not really, provided the rack isn't going out you might have the alignment checked, tires/pressure.
This. It could easily be an alignment issue. I don't think the EPAS feels very much different than a hydraulically assisted system. The new one feels much better and really connected. It responds quite well to steering inputs.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
This. It could easily be an alignment issue. I don't think the EPAS feels very much different than a hydraulically assisted system. The new one feels much better and really connected. It responds quite well to steering inputs.
While OP should definitely have his alignment checked, tire pressure, etc.. The EPAS on these trucks most assuredly has a very different feel than a traditional hydraulic system. The wheel is very easy to turn on initial turn in and has very little weight to the wheel. This was even more apparent on my work truck with the skinnier tires. My fx4 wheel and tire package adds a measurable amount of effort to steering inputs and the wheel is still light. Depending on what the OP came from this could be surprising to him. My last vehicle was an e46m3 with 285 track rubber up front and an aggressive alignment. The difference between it and my truck is opposite ends of the universe.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM

Ya, I came from an 07 GMC Sierra with just stock tires. Like I said, it doesn't really feel broke or anything, just very different. Like you said, turns very easy, no weight to the wheel type of feel.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
Not related to the thread, but your PM's are full!
Old 05-29-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

There is a Ford SSM [special service memo] involves a a updated program for the EPAS modual Had mine done still not same as hydraulic assist but much better check with dealer it a free upgrade as long as it's under warranty