Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smells very rich on startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smells very rich on startup

I have a 2010 f150 5.4l, when the temp is colder out and I go to start it it seems to almost sputter then start but it smells very rich, if I don’t let it warm up a little bit before putting it into gear it will stall out then has a bit of trouble starting back up. Anyone got any suggestions on what it might be ??
Old 12-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull diagnostic codes even if the CEL isn't on. Might be able to tell you more than we can.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

• air filter
  • MAF sensor
  • IAC
  • spark plugs
Old 11-12-2018, 01:15 AM

I am having the exact same problem. This was happening to me last winter, so I decided to do a bit of preventative maintenance before this winter.

All completed early Oct.:
Replaced Air filter
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned throttle body (I don't believe the 2010 5.4L has an IAC)

Cold start the truck will idle high, and run rich. If I shift into gear after start-up it stalls immediately. The next start attempt takes a while for the engine to turnover, and a cloud of white smoke is coming out the tail pipe for about a minute. If I let it warm up and let the idle reduce to around 800-900 rpm, then shift into gear, no issues.

It hasn't even been that cold up here in Ontario and I am already having this issue, about -3'C is the coldest its been so far.

Any suggestions would be great
By the way, it never throws a check engine light, how long are codes stored for? Do I pretty much have to drive to a dealership to have it scanned right after a stall?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Maybe you should acquire a scanner so you can check immediately, some codes don't persist. I'm not sure about Ontario, but here they are pretty cheap. But mostly codes should be stored until manually removed. Could try unhooking the battery for 15 minutes, then immediately do the idle re-learn procedure from the manual. But you may have a bad sensor or dirty electrical contacts to the sensor, too.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM

I'm going to borrow a scanner and purposely stall it one morning. I did the idle re-learn process when i cleaned the throttle body in October. Do you think I need to do it again for the colder weather?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Shouldn't need to repeat the idle learn, but the computer reset could help. Wouldn't really count on that, though.

Could also be old plugs, something faulty in the fuel system, etc.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Krisjanzen7
I have a 2010 f150 5.4l, when the temp is colder out and I go to start it it seems to almost sputter then start but it smells very rich, if I don’t let it warm up a little bit before putting it into gear it will stall out then has a bit of trouble starting back up. Anyone got any suggestions on what it might be ??
I have a 2010 king ranch with similar problems. And though I haven't had the chance yet. I'm thinking a new fuel control module is what I need. My truck when it's cold outside will crank and crank then will finally turn over and start after upto around 10 to 15 seconds of cranking. This only happens when it's cold outside though. A little bit of smoke does come out of my exhaust also but goes away fairly quickly and a strong gas smell that also goes away fairly quickly.
(side note. I also have an exhaust leak on passenger side but I don't think that has anything to do with start up)
there's not much help on the internet that I have come to find out unfortunately. Also my truck doesn't have a check engine light on but it's still doing this. Anyways I hope you figure it out. Maybe check into that fuel control module

Quick Reply: Smells very rich on startup