Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scorpion STR's...Perfect (so far).

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Scorpion STR's...Perfect (so far).

I was wary of the stock Scorpion STR tires when buying my '12 FX...reports of sidewall-cracking, poor snow/ice performance, & tread-life topped the list.

However, after 9 months & 9,000 miles of use, I have to say these tires perform as designed & for the purposes intended.

Keep in mind, the STR designation stands for street tire, & these tires have accomplished day-to-day street driving flawlessly. Extremely quiet, with good road-handling ability. Stay firmly planted in rain at all speeds. And, no evidence of cracking. Tire tread has no-to-minimal signs of wear.

These Scorpions have only lost a total of 5 psi since new, which bodes well for their overall construction. However, they have always been nitrogen-filled---which may partially account for air retention.

However, these same tires wouldn't do well off-road, & are certainly not patterned for snow/ice conditions. Otherwise, perfect (so far) !!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Honey badger don't care

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear.

I had the sidewall dry rot issue with my first set and had them replaced under warranty. We got roughly 20 inches of snow over the last two weeks and I had no issues getting around with the Scorpions. I was actually more worried about tearing off the front plastic air dam that hangs below the bumper.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by OMGNameTaken
Good to hear.

I had the sidewall dry rot issue with my first set and had them replaced under warranty. We got roughly 20 inches of snow over the last two weeks and I had no issues getting around with the Scorpions. I was actually more worried about tearing off the front plastic air dam that hangs below the bumper.
Per owner's manual: Ford does not recommend the use of any F-150 model to be upfitted and equipped with snow plow...
That, apparently, is because we already have one; standard under the front bumper !!

Pleased that your Pirelli Scorpions got you thru...
The following users liked this post:
Legendsk (03-03-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

My moms lincoln has the STR and they're OK. I would never run any Pirelli on any vehicle now though..my dad has the Scorpion Zero on his limited and they're half-finished after 14,000 miles.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
My moms lincoln has the STR and they're OK. I would never run any Pirelli on any vehicle now though..my dad has the Scorpion Zero on his limited and they're half-finished after 14,000 miles.
Yeah, the Zero is more performance-oriented & "stickier" than the stock Scorpion STR---affecting tread-life. Had the car version on my Bullitt.
Mileage consistent with my experience---good call !!

Last edited by EasternAirlineKenny; 03-02-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My STRs are at the wear bars at 24,000. I ordered a set of Michelin LTX M/S2. I'm guessing I should blame Mike at 5Star.

Quick Reply: Scorpion STR's...Perfect (so far).