Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinstalled Sync v4.4 from v4.6

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Reinstalled Sync v4.4 from v4.6

I have a 2012 F150 Platinum with the voice nav. I've never really been happy with SYNC since the day I took it home but I've always held hope for updates to fix that.

I just recently updated from v4.4 (the one that all the files were addressed wrong in the installer files) to v4.6 (the one that was listed available from Ford's website for 2 months before I was able to download it).

v4.6 did do some good like make the Bluetooth much more snappy but it also made it much more unstable. It would constantly disconnect from multiple devices with no pattern. A "Sync Reboot" function was added that really wasn't ever needed before. Since installing v4.6 I've had to use it every day to keep the Bluetooth somewhat alive. Also, for my 500GB USB hard drive simply adding or removing a few tracks resulted in SYNC re-indexing the entire drive which sometimes took 20m-30m. Also, no improvements the the chunky user interface or added functionality to the media player to allow it to read all the other standard ID3 tags that every other media player under the sun recognizes like Album Artist, Disc Number and Album Art.

With all this nonsense I reinstalled v4.4 over v4.6 which might not have the fastest Bluetooth and might not have some SYNC reboot button but the Bluetooth doesn't constantly crash, freeze or disconnect. The media player also only indexes the changes to my USB hard drive and allows me to browse my large 17,000+ track music library in just a few seconds.

I wish Ford would just completely redesign the old GEN1 SYNC system and make it actually worth something. Since its integrated with the HVAC and other systems I'm stuck with it unless I want to incur a huge expense to get an aftermarket system with actual functionality. Just another SYNC disappointment. It's literally the only thing I don't like about my truck.

Last edited by sullivan1985; 03-02-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW I did the same. I reverted back to my original Sync install the new one deleted functions I wasn't prepared to lose. So now my only issue...on occasion, the "Listening" function doesn't work for verbal inputs so it's button pushing until it decides to not be temper-mental.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the group....Gen1 Sync SUCKS.