Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview Mirror Rattle/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview Mirror Rattle/Vibration

So I've had my truck for a little over a month, just over 2000 miles. Last Monday, my rearview mirror started vibrating when driving, basically bouncing around a bit and making everything look shaky. In addition, you can hear it rattling against the windshield, which is annoying to listen do while driving.

I took the truck in Friday to get it fixed. Service guy said the tint guy didn't put the mirror back on right and it needed to be adjusted, which they fixed under warranty. Makes sense since I got the window strip and left it at that...happy that it was fixed.

I went to adjust my mirror slightly this afternoon and BAM...rattling and vibrating again. From what I've read, the mirror is held in place with some sort of spring and is a pain to remove and reinstall the mirror. It looks like it's slightly loose where the mirror meets the metal piece on the windshield, not an issue with the joint. I can move the mirror mount piece towards and away from the metal piece slightly when I push on the mirror.

I'll be calling the service guy again tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone had this issue. I hope this isn't some sort of problem that will be ongoing...
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 225 Likes on 152 Posts

Had the same problem after I had my windshield replaced for a chip. I'm pretty sure that the mirror (at least on my '09) is just wedged down on a v-shaped button glued to the window. Try gently tapping the mirror base down toward the dash with a medium weight object, i.e., NOT a big f'n hammer. Should elimiinate the wobble. If not, I'd guess the mounting base itself is loose.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by icantdrive55
Had the same problem after I had my windshield replaced for a chip. I'm pretty sure that the mirror (at least on my '09) is just wedged down on a v-shaped button glued to the window. Try gently tapping the mirror base down toward the dash with a medium weight object, i.e., NOT a big f'n hammer. Should elimiinate the wobble. If not, I'd guess the mounting base itself is loose.
Had this on a 2010 taurus rental car. I ended up shoving a pen cap into one of the holes to make it tight... the screw wouldn't go any tighter. The car had 2000 miles on it...

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror Rattle/Vibration