Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Rear shocks

Seems like we always just talk about whatever cheap rear shocks match our front shocks. But why are we limited to just that? There are a ton of aftermarket shocks that are nicer than the stock replacement ones.

For example, here is Bilstein replacement shock for our trucks

But why not use something like this?

Or this one if you want it to be stiffer valved and closer to the stock lengths.

They each have remote reservoirs that need to be custom mounted. But that's not a big deal. Mount them to your frame, easy enough with a couple of hose clamps.

The only question for me is the mounting holes. These come with 5/8" inside diameter bushings. If our standard mounts are 5/8" then they would be just about a bolt on application.

Here's a pdf of the Bilstein custom off-road shocks. Scroll down for the custom length and valved applications.

I had the 5150's in a 170/60 valving on the rear of my Tacoma. Soft as butter, but controlled. I was also running full size Chevy leaf springs. But the Taco is very light, so our F150 will probably need the stiffer valving of the 255/70 ones, like my second link.

These aren't even that expensive. A quick internet search yields ~$160 each, as opposed to

The main question is our mount size? Next time someone swaps out some rear shocks take a quick measurement for us, preferably with a caliper set.

Quick Reply: Rear shocks