Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real facts on recalibrating speedo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Real facts on recalibrating speedo

There's quite a few different opinions and threads on what can and can't be done by the dealers in regards to reprogramming the computer for bigger tires.

At first I was under the impression that you can only reprogram to stock OEM sizes, this is false. It really depends on the dealer. A few members have said they were able to do it with no OEM sizes. This is true with me as well. I called multiple dealers and some said they can't do it at all, some said only to OEM sizes and one that said they can do up to a 37" tire.

Well, I just put on some 285/65/R18 (32.6") Nitto Terra Grapplers yesterday. This morning I drove it to my dealer and had it reprogrammed in 20 minutes. I have no doubt that they did it correctly. They have a high performance department and the guy knew exactly what to do because I've seen huge "monster" trucks rolled in and out of there all the time.

I know some people will question if it was really done and want me to verify with a gps. That is pointless for me. Why would my dealer pretend to do it. If they can't, they would just say no. They knew exactly what was needed (ask me for the tire size and if I still had my tpms sensor, then ask for my key).

I noticed that my performance is better now with the new program. I noticed it was a little sluggish after I got the tires on and figured it was because the tires were "grippy". Well, turns out .5" bigger does make a differnce (I had 275/65/r18 32.1")
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

What's the name of the dealer? Maybe some of these other guys want to drive over there and get their done also.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default IDS

I own a ford ids it can only program factory tire specs if you have a tire close to a factory spec in diameter you are good, the raptor uses a 35 and you can program any rim size 35 to it 315-70-17. I do however suggest you gps your truck.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KNUCKLE BUSTER
I own a ford ids it can only program factory tire specs if you have a tire close to a factory spec in diameter you are good, the raptor uses a 35 and you can program any rim size 35 to it 315-70-17. I do however suggest you gps your truck.
Exactly!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

I don't know what your ids is but I'm just here to inform folks that are wondering if they can reprogram to a larger size that they can. My dealer has no problems doing in ANY size up to 36 or 37" (can't remember exactly because it's way bigger than I would ever want.)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

I also suggest you check your speedo with a GPS or your method of choice. The tech may have just gotten it as close as he could.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM

ic. I'll try to get my hands on a gps. But my tire size wasn't much bigger than my stock so the mileage difference is minimal. But I did notice an improvement in performance so that gives me peace of mind that is was adjusted.

Also, reprogramming to "as close as he could" would be my OEM size because my new size is only .5" bigger. I doubt they would lie to me and keep the speedo the same.

In any case, I'll try the gps if I can.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
Exactly!

exactly x's 2.

Whoever started this post is wrong. YOU CANT PROGRAM UP TO 37 in TIRES on the new trucks. What part of the guy I quoted with the ids dont you get? I am a certified FORD TECH and all I did was lifts and bigger tires and accessories and programming EBCMS and PCMS and TCMS and every other module out there to compensate for larger tires. Your 285 65 18 can be programmed no sweat. Tires up to almost 35 inch can be programmed now using the 315/17 in combo.

We use the IDS to input a different tire size into your PCM's calibration, it may not be the exact tire size you put on but with the other sizes in the ids we can get the diameter the same or close, thus your speedo being correct. The raptors have the biggest tires now stock and we can only program up to that diameter.

Most service advisors have NO CLUE what they are talking about, they of course will say sure they can program up to a 37 to have you drive all the way in, the tech will hook up the ids and in 5 mins tell you that it cant be done.

All you are doing is confusing people with this nonsense
Old 09-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I did not know up to a 35 in diameter could be programmed because the raptors just arrived when I left the dealership in october 2010.

again we do not program your exact tire size unless it is an exact size the ids has pre loaded, YOU CAN NOT MANUALLY INPUT A TIRE SIZE INTO IDS. We use the closest pre loaded tire diameter setting in IDS to match what YOU may have put on your vehicle. If the diameters match, bingo your all set
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
exactly x's 2.

Whoever started this post is wrong. YOU CANT PROGRAM UP TO 37 in TIRES on the new trucks.

All you are doing is confusing people with this nonsense
x2. You can only select factory sizes, with the largest being the Raptor like you said.

Quick Reply: Real facts on recalibrating speedo