Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle trap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rattle trap!

As the temps have lowered my 11' Harley has developed two vibrations/rattles. One is coming from the door and is more of a vibration/harmonic which sounds like metal to metal squeeking. Painfully annoying. I have taken this back to the dealer and they cant rememdy. Of course they said they fixed it only to have it start just down the road from the dealer. I havent had time to take it back but personally have taken the door panel off three times attempting to locate. Its clearly coming from the outside panel on the inside (if that makes sense?)

The other is coming from the floor shifter which hasnt been addressed yet as it has just started.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?? If so what was the fix...

I have expected better from a $50K++ stickered vehicle?? Overall Im very pleased with the truck and overall (other than the rattles) couldnt be happier. Hopefully I can get these rattles fixed as they are just really a pain in the butt....
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you get your rattles fixed, I can't stand them either. But if you think the Fords are bad don't get a Chevy..... they will drive you buggy with rattles,.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you think chevy's bad try ridin in a dodge.

lol
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate them too and I rattle proof my trucks. Oddly enough there is something called rattle trap from fatmat.com that is exactly like dynomat. I have never bothered to take my trucks to the dealership because they can do nothing. I took off all my door panels and put the rattle trap on the doors behind the panels. This helps to block A LOT of the road noise. Then I put so foam type weather stripping where the door panel plastic and the metal make contact. I know this seems extreme but I cannot handle ANY rattles. Once the door panels are on you cannot tell that there is anything there except for the silence. I also covered my rear bulkhead behind the rear seat with rattle trap. I think next I want to drop the headliner and cover the ceiling. Check out fatmat.com and do some searching. It is awesome stuff. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the reply ductit, I dont mind a knock or two on a rough road no truck will be perfectly quite, but this door thing will rattle riding down a smooth road, that sucks... I'll look into the fatmat deal, thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I also had two rattles recently. One was behind the dash, the other near the rear view mirror somewhere. Enough was enough, so I was going to take it to the dealer. Before heading over I knew to take out anything I had put in the truck because they'd just do it for me and then tell me they couldn't reproduce it.

Turns out - I did have two rattles but they were both in the center console. One was the coins in the slots (although the rattle didn't sound anything like coins clicking) and the other was a few credit card-like items in that slot in the console too.

I removed the coins and fixed the cards and the rattle never came back. What gets me is the distance those rattles were from where I thought they were coming from.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharper4
I also had two rattles recently. One was behind the dash, the other near the rear view mirror somewhere. Enough was enough, so I was going to take it to the dealer. Before heading over I knew to take out anything I had put in the truck because they'd just do it for me and then tell me they couldn't reproduce it.

Turns out - I did have two rattles but they were both in the center console. One was the coins in the slots (although the rattle didn't sound anything like coins clicking) and the other was a few credit card-like items in that slot in the console too.

I removed the coins and fixed the cards and the rattle never came back. What gets me is the distance those rattles were from where I thought they were coming from.
That reminds me, I swore I had a rattle in the passenger door and my wife swore it was in my door, we found it was a pair of sunglasses in the over head storage that was the culprit.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by sharper4

Truck parked, door open or closed, hit the door gently with your hand and guess what..... rattle. Its the door...... The shifter, flick or tap the shifter with your finger and again, rattle......... I realize that sound can travel in mysterious ways, but I have spent too much time narrowing these little bastards down..... My last Silverado had less rattles and it had 80K when traded, and my wifes Enclave is unreal quite for a SUV.

Still just venting as these are very annoying especially for a new 50K truck with less than 8K miles.

Quick Reply: Rattle trap!