Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop & Lock locking tailgate INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Pop & Lock locking tailgate INSTALL

Havent seen a full writeup so I figured I would do one. I ordered my lock setup from truckimage.com (http://truckimage.com/p-1012-pop-loc...gate-lock.aspx). Came very quick.

First thing is to mount the actuator. I used two washers under the assembly to get it away from the lock bracket and I put some locktight to make sure that nut doesn't back out. I used 1 of the screws in the back to keep it up and secured so it wouldnt vibrate around and break. Just had to drill a opening for the screw. I just zip tied the extra wiring in the tailgate.

Next I ran the wiring thru the tailgate. It is kind of a pain but I ran the connector thru with the help of a really long screw driver. and put the connector in the hinge and zip tied it to the camera wire loom.

I then ran the wiring on passenger side thru the frame all the way up to the middle of the front door.

There is a piece of tape in the cab under the carpet on the passenger side that I just peeled up to gain access to the cab. Just run your wire thru and tape it back up. All you have to take up is the kick plate on the passengers side. And that will give you access to the wiring and you will be able to get under that carpet for the tape.

The wiring is blue wire to light blue w/ green stripe and green wire to gray w/ brown stripe (almost looks white w/ brown). I just used my wire stripper and pulled the shielding back a little. I don't like wire taps. Then tend to cause problems after a while and can loose contact with the wires. So I just soldered my and taped them up. Make sure to strip the wires in different spot and not next to each other so there is no chance of them ever touching. And then just tape it up and ENJOY.
The following users liked this post:
Wildwrangler48 (09-12-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Nice write up. I helped a friend install his a couple of months back and his wiring was wrapped in a white sheath where yours is black. I couldn't believe they came with white wiring. It stuck out like a sore thumb when running along the frame and into the cab. We need to go out and get some split loom just to hide it a bit better!

For those with a SuperCrew, there is a small grommet under the rear passenger side sill that can be popped out and you can feed those wires directly into the sill.
The following users liked this post:
12 5.0 FX4 (05-22-2016)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, I'm definitely doing the tailgate lock to prevent theft/convenience. May not do the pop part but it's nice to see a complete writeup.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasEd
Thanks, I'm definitely doing the tailgate lock to prevent theft/convenience. May not do the pop part but it's nice to see a complete writeup.
for sure. Another issue we had we found when testing. It seemed the unit would bin and no lock properly with the tail gate open. It was due to the devices own weight when open. Once we closed the tailgate and everything settle in, it worked great.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rymax, what year is your truck? I'm trying to figure out the wiring for my 2013 screw XLT. I'd like to tap into the wires that require 2 unlock taps on the key fob (passenger doors).
Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 AM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Mines a 2012 the wire I tapped work on one hit of the unlock.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Default 2013 wires located

Originally Posted by rymax101
Mines a 2012 the wire I tapped work on one hit of the unlock.
Thanks for the reply. FYI, I did some more research and discovered that for my application the wires I was looking for are purple (w/ gray stripe) and light gray (w/ brown stripe). I was able to locate them under the front passenger door sill plate. This is for a double press of the unlock button on a 2013.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stroker13:
JKilpatrick (07-18-2014), Wildwrangler48 (09-12-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Default Pop and Lock Assistance

We have very knowledgeable technical support here at Pop & Lock that can walk you through every step! Call 800.342.5911 and ask for Jason. He will be able to help you with whatever you need. Hope this helps and thank you for choosing Pop & Lock.
The following 2 users liked this post by PopLockParker:
D_Cantrell (08-12-2015), Wildwrangler48 (09-12-2014)

Quick Reply: Pop & Lock locking tailgate INSTALL