Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Project: Big Red

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Opinions Needed

I've been giving a lot of thought to changing the look of my truck. I love the way it is right now, but we all know that buying toys and changing the look of your truck is always fun!

The big change that I would like to do is change my headlights, tail lights, and the 3rd brake light. I've decided that I am going to go with Recon, but my question is whether to go with the clear or black.

My truck is a 2012 Ford F-150 Lariat that is "Race Red" and the only chrome on the truck is the grill, rims, and then the front/rear bumper. I just don't know that black would look that great and then again I don't know that the clear would look all that great either.

There aren't many "Race Red" trucks on here for me to compare and really see that it would look ok with the chrome grill and so forth. I think that is why I would like to have the opinion from all of you on here and what you would do yourself in my situation.

I'd love to go out and find the FX black grill that matches my truck and the Race Red bumpers as well, but I don't have that much time or even money to dedicate myself to doing all of that work. I would rather just trade my truck in at that point and start from scratch from the time and money that would go into it the other route.

I guess my question for all of you is to go with the clear headlights, tail lights, and 3rd brake light or to go with the black set?

Any and all comments/opinions are welcome!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I don't have race red, but i have vermillion red. I did the HD heads and tails. And i have a color matched grille...should give you an idea

Before

After

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
JVPPC187 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM

Aren't those just the FX style headlights and tail lights from Ford?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Ask 10 people on this forum for their opinion, get 11 opinions...

First, who cares what everyone else thinks?

Second, pick what you want and can live with... and remember, ... I'll type slow ... it's NOT permanent. You can always change to something else.

Lesson over. Go with black. Clear is so ricer. Although I will admit either will probably look good on Race Red but not necessarily on other colors.
JVPPC187 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by JVPPC187
Aren't those just the FX style headlights and tail lights from Ford?
Oh sorry, i just re read your OP. You said "FX grille." Somehow my mind saw FX lights.
JVPPC187 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM

It's kind of hard to change when you buy the whole setup and then decide to go with other color after spending the money. I definitely am not "set" when it comes to money, so I like to get things right the first time.

Know what I mean? As for caring what people think, I just wanted others opinions or maybe this would cause some people to show their truck on here. I've seen some Race Red trucks on here, but none that have changed these items very much for me to compare them against one another.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mbullock
Oh sorry, i just re read your OP. You said "FX grille." Somehow my mind saw FX lights.
It's still good to see it with the FX headlights cause I gave some thought to doing that as well, but I just feel that for the price of those from Ford to what I can get from Recon.

I think my money is spent better with Recon in the long run.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

It's kind of hard to change when you buy the whole setup and then decide to go with other color after spending the money. I definitely am not "set" when it comes to money, so I like to get things right the first time.

Know what I mean? As for caring what people think, I just wanted others opinions or maybe this would cause some people to show their truck on here. I've seen some Race Red trucks on here, but none that have changed these items very much for me to compare them against one another.
Fair enough... if you're undecided and have a "one shot to get it right" option, wait until you know for sure, without question, that you'll be happy with your choice.

Just my opinion... or two.
JVPPC187 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

It's still good to see it with the FX headlights cause I gave some thought to doing that as well, but I just feel that for the price of those from Ford to what I can get from Recon.

I think my money is spent better with Recon in the long run.
Cool. Good to see my mistake helped anyway!

I found recon to be double the $$. Up over $500. Maybe I'm wasn't looking hard enough though. My heads were only $225 for the pair. And the tails were $140.
JVPPC187 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM

I work for NAPA Auto Parts and I have some pretty good ways of getting things fairly cheaper than what you might get them directly from the vendor or on wholesale websites.

I definitely can get the Ford FX lights cheaper than the Recon, but I like LED stuff and the look of the Recon lights. If I was to get the FX lights and then just upgrade the bulbs to HID and LED, then it would come to probably close if not over the price for the projector lights from Recon.

Either way I would be happy getting the FX lights from Ford or the LED lights from Recon. I'm lucky enough to at least have the choice between the brands.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed