Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, done with this lemon.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Okay, done with this lemon.

Well, we have had nothing but issues with this truck. We purchased it late fall last year new, and have experienced multiple brake and 4x4 failures. Steering system replacement and just random noises and stalling/surging issues. It's a 2014 eco screw 4x4 xlt with the xtr convenience package and max tow. I've been in contact with ford customer 'care'. Basically in the end, as far as they are concerned so long as they continue to repair the truck under warranty they've done all they are required. What I really wanted was for them to buy the truck back so I could buy a new truck. No such luck. The dealer has been decent, and has always had a loaner truck for us, but I just don't feel safe putting my family into this thing.

In the end our only remaining option (as we don't have lemon laws here) is arbitration with CAMVAP, but that means more money out of my pocket in the form of lost wages.

I've spoken with the dealer and asked about getting an F250 2011 or newer with the 6.2 gas engine. Because 1: I've found the f250 (my work trucks) are absolutely bullet proof. 2: I feel safer with my family in something that large as we are very rural. 3: I do haul some substantial weight from time to time that I find the F150 wallows under a bit more then I like (typically firewood loads, sometimes stone or topsoil). 4: Hoping by buying a used truck the penalty on dumping this 6 month old truck won't be so painful.

We currently have a 2014 6.2 f250 as a loaner (yeah the f150 has been at the dealer for almost a week again), and haven't noticed a significant difference in fuel mileage. Yes it uses a bit more fuel, but certainly not enough to have me alarmed. So tell me, am I crazy? Or should I just drop the 10 grand on a lawyer?

PS: This is my third ecoboost truck and 5th f150, but I am seriously painfully disappointed with this one, and fords lack of concern for my family's safety.

Ian

Last edited by Thislilfishy; 03-17-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 AM

So as not to appear as a troll, one of my pics of the truck sitting in the dealers service lot.

Name:  7411D34A-F64A-4E4C-ACDE-91CF4B74F6EA_zps3g8khvww.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  104.5 KB
Old 03-17-2015, 04:04 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

well it's a shame you're having so much trouble and I can certainly understand not wanting something you don't feel safe putting your family in.

have you considered a 6.2L F150? I did notice you stated you don't like the way the half-ton feels with a heavy payload, but simple things like the Roadmaster active suspension or an add-a-leaf could remedy that pretty easily.

just a thought, but either way, I hope you find something that works well for you.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 AM

No, I am not have engine or drivetrain issues really. I like the ecoboost. I just think ford is working too hard to turn the f150 into a big car with a bed in it for soccer moms. I am beginning to think they just aren't being built for work anymore sorry, I've really lost faith in this one.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, IMO -- if you are going to take a 10K loss I sure would give it to a dealership and not a lawyer. By dealership I mean Chevy or Dodge.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

In your opening review you stated you have 4X4 failures and stalling / surging issues... but in frame #4 you say you're not having any engine or drivetrain issues really.
4X4 failure is certainly drivetrain.
Stalling / surging is certainly engine.
But the statement that caught my attention was when you were dismayed that Ford is turning the F150 into a big car with a bed for soccer moms.
Maybe it's just me but, I sense an other agenda.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueGT
In your opening review you stated you have 4X4 failures and stalling / surging issues... but in frame #4 you say you're not having any engine or drivetrain issues really. 4X4 failure is certainly drivetrain. Stalling / surging is certainly engine. But the statement that caught my attention was when you were dismayed that Ford is turning the F150 into a big car with a bed for soccer moms. Maybe it's just me but, I sense an other agenda.
I don't know if there is an agenda as I feel the same. I love my truck, it's a 10 STX.

I've watched each year as Ford adds more tech and messes with suspension to cater to an emerging market IE the soccer mom/dad crowd coming from the now slipping SUV market.

Look at the rake n a stock truck, it's so drastic because of the soft suspension so it rides like a car but when loaded it's level.

I actual stiffed up my suspension so it's more truck like and handles loads better, you see a ton of guys doing the same.

OP, hope it works out for you. I would look into taking a hit on a different truck especially as they are obliging the warranty and that will be their basis for grounds to not buy back most likely.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Thislilfishy
2: I feel safer with my family in something that large as we are very rural. 3: I do haul some substantial weight from time to time that I find the F150 wallows under a bit more then I like (typically firewood loads, sometimes stone or topsoil).
What do you see in the F-250's "that large" size that makes it safer? A slightly longer truck isn't safer. Nothing in crash tests that I see as any difference.

You note that it wallows with firewood loads and stone or topsoil. I noted that you believe you are at or over capacity on many loads. A 250 can clearly handle more payload. Excessive weight can clearly harm the drivetrain especially if you engage 4x4 while excessively loaded.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 03-17-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by RogueGT
In your opening review you stated you have 4X4 failures and stalling / surging issues... but in frame #4 you say you're not having any engine or drivetrain issues really.
4X4 failure is certainly drivetrain.
Stalling / surging is certainly engine.
But the statement that caught my attention was when you were dismayed that Ford is turning the F150 into a big car with a bed for soccer moms.
Maybe it's just me but, I sense an other agenda.
I'll have to apologize. I meant I haven't had serious engine issues. The 4x4 failure was one of the hubs essentially self destructed. After that was repaired (replaced) both hubs failed again (2 weeks later). The stalling and surging was an intermittent issue that never sent error codes and has yet to be addressed. I don't consider it an engine failure as more of a computer glitch. They are currently replacing both waste gates, so I guess you could call that an engine issue. Sorry I was up all night with my duaghter who was busy with a nasty tummy bug. So I was/am a bit bleary. I guess in the end I should be happy as if these weren't covered under warranty I'd easily be into the $10K range in repairs and rentals. Makes me wonder what happens when the warranty is up.
Ian
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
What do you see in the F-250's "that large" size that makes it safer? A slightly longer truck isn't safer. Nothing in crash tests that I see as any difference.

You note that it wallows with firewood loads and stone or topsoil. I noted that you believe you are at or over capacity on many loads. A 250 can clearly handle more payload. Excessive weight can clearly harm the drivetrain especially if you engage 4x4 while excessively loaded.
I figure safer is a truck that doesn't break down frequently on our exceptionally dangerous winter roads. We live on one of the most tricky roads in the area during the winter. February last year the road was closed for 18 days. I drive a very old rusty f250 for work (average one way trip of 2 hrs), and have not had a single failure or hiccup in the last year. It gets irregular maintenance when time allows as we kinda consider it disposable at this point. My f150 is babied and gets all service and oil changed at the dealer, ahead of schedule. I guess it's apples to oranges, as my 2000 f150 with the 4.2 v6 was a rock. It seems that every year since they've been getting softer and softer. I don't cary large loads often, maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Heck my trailer is only rated for 3500lbs. But with that a max capacity and a load of wood in the bed I am sitting on the bump stops. A half tonne should easily handle that load...the picture below is exactly a full cord of wood (truck and trailer combined). What you see sticking up above the bed of the truck is actually cardboard boxes no a giant pile of wood. The wood was level with the top of the bed, tossed in loosely. The trailer was stacked tightly. The engine had no issues with the load, the suspension, well not so much. We emptied some out before leaving, it didn't look/feel safe.

Last edited by Thislilfishy; 03-17-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Okay, done with this lemon.