Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM HID headlights into 2012 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default OEM HID headlights into 2012 XLT

I have the chance to buy a set of 2013 lariat HID headlights and was wondering how hard it would be and what has to be done to make them work in my 2012 xlt. I am a little worried about the DRL's as they are needed where I live and I don't think you are supposed to use the HIDs as DRL's
Any input is appreciated
Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickerbocker12
I have the chance to buy a set of 2013 lariat HID headlights and was wondering how hard it would be and what has to be done to make them work in my 2012 xlt. I am a little worried about the DRL's as they are needed where I live and I don't think you are supposed to use the HIDs as DRL's
Any input is appreciated
Morimoto plug and play harness and use forscan to change DRL location to running lights or fog lights.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Any input is appreciated
You need this harness, https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...2009-2014.html

That's it to make them work. Now on the issue of DTRL, it's not a good idea to run the HID's as DTRL so you have 2 other options, your parking lights can be activated as DTRL or the bumper mounted fog lights can be used safely. I have to assume trucks with oem HID's where you are, Canada eh? lol would be the parking light activation as that is the only other option given to use from Ford.

You can however use a free program called Forscan to turn your fog lights on for DTRL. I did because I also converted to oem HID's and while DTRL is not mandatory here, I like the safety factor of higher visibility.

See this thread for more info on Forscan, https://www.f150forum.com/f38/forsca...ations-349018/
Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You need this harness, https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...2009-2014.html

That's it to make them work. Now on the issue of DTRL, it's not a good idea to run the HID's as DTRL so you have 2 other options, your parking lights can be activated as DTRL or the bumper mounted fog lights can be used safely. I have to assume trucks with oem HID's where you are, Canada eh? lol would be the parking light activation as that is the only other option given to use from Ford.

You can however use a free program called Forscan to turn your fog lights on for DTRL. I did because I also converted to oem HID's and while DTRL is not mandatory here, I like the safety factor of higher visibility.

See this thread for more info on Forscan, https://www.f150forum.com/f38/forsca...ations-349018/
I was under the impression that since my truck is a 2012 and no 2012 models came with HIDs, I am not able to make my amber lights my DTRL.. at least this is what my dealer told me when I went there asking them to do so..
What year is your truck? The dealer could be wrong (hoping so)
You are correct I am from Canada, DTRL are mandatory here. I've seen/heard of a few people getting tickets for not having.. not worth it
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 AM

I was under the impression that since my truck is a 2012 and no 2012 models came with HIDs, I am not able to make my amber lights my DTRL.. at least this is what my dealer told me when I went there asking them to do so..
You are correct I am from Canada, DTRL are mandatory here. I've seen/heard of a few people getting tickets for not having.. not worth it
My truck is a 13 XLT. As far as the dealer is concerned, if it isn't in their book it's not possible. You'll know once you connect with Forscan what's available to use.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

That may be correct for their program. Sometimes Forscan is more flexible than Ford's program. For example, I've heard (but not verified) that the dealer can't activate remote start with the remote start antenna plugged in, but I know for a fact it can be done in Forscan.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
That may be correct for their program. Sometimes Forscan is more flexible than Ford's program.
Exactly, I also have the same program Ford uses, IDS and the only options for DTRL in that program are headlights and parking lights, fog lights are not listed. They are listed in Forscan.

Quick Reply: OEM HID headlights into 2012 XLT