Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd noise when engine is cold

Old 12-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Odd noise when engine is cold

Not sure if anyone else has heard something similar:

I have roughly 96k miles on my 5.0, and for the last year or so have been noticing a whining-like noise for the first few cold miles. I say whining-like, because it almost sounds like a muffled Chewbacca, for lack of a better explanation. Its not loud, but noticeable over my Borla. Odd thing is, it gets worse when I'm turning the steering wheel and sounds like a power steering pump going bad, even though my 2013 has EPAS. Even weirder, it only makes the noise when the cabin blower is on. If I turn off climate control, there is no noise. It makes me think it has something to do with the blower motor, but the fact it gets worse during a turn has me stumped.

Again, this only happens until the engine is up to temp, then its completely silent. My only other guess would be the alternator, with the blower motor and EPAS causing more draw on it than normal...
Old 12-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

How cold are we talking?

Every vehicle I've owned makes the oddest noises on a cold startup in the 20s-30s. I'm talking "wtf is this thing broken". Never had any other issues and they all went away when warmed up. I don't know if my F150 does it because I remote start it 99% of the time.

Unless something stops working I'd worry about it until then. The cold is extremely tough on vehicles
Old 12-14-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Your turning the position of the blower when cornering causing the blower shaft to move in or out of its bushings. It works like a gyroscope and wants to stay in place.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by kbrock
How cold are we talking?
Air temp, first thing after its been sitting for a few hours or overnight. Has been making noise for about a year, winter or summer. I doubt its anything major but its starting to get on my nerves...

Originally Posted by raisin
Your turning the position of the blower when cornering causing the blower shaft to move in or out of its bushings. It works like a gyroscope and wants to stay in place.
Guess I didn't specify. It'll act up even if I turn the wheel in park. Not really dependent on if the truck is moving or not.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

FEAD when temp drops below 35 Degrees, my Mustang does if sits outside instead of garage. goes away after temp goes up.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have this exact same thing happening. Did you ever find the fix?

Only happens when it's cold, changes tone/sound when turning the wheel, after it warms up it goes away. Reminds me of the sound an old computer fan would make when the bearing starts going bad.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the blower motor and/or fan?
Old 04-13-2021, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I'm having the same issue now. Has anyone figured it out?

Originally Posted by alborn98
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have this exact same thing happening. Did you ever find the fix?

Only happens when it's cold, changes tone/sound when turning the wheel, after it warms up it goes away. Reminds me of the sound an old computer fan would make when the bearing starts going bad.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the blower motor and/or fan?
Old 04-13-2021, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by austin ellis
I'm having the same issue now. Has anyone figured it out?
It was a bad bearing in the blower motor for me
Old 04-13-2021, 01:05 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Exclamation

austin ellis ...
Put your complete vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature. *Eliminates the need to play 20 questions when posting.

» Edit Signature « *Don't forget to save it.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it whine with the truck running but sitting still, or just when moving? Thick oil (or PS fluid) can get really thick when it's cold out, creating gear or pump whine. Listen to a 4WD truck in low range at 10 degrees F, the transfer case sounds supercharged for the first five or ten minutes of driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd noise when engine is cold