Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No tow package but now want to tow

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default No tow package but now want to tow

So I have a 2010 with the 4.6L that I picked up for a good deal and it didn't come with a hitch but now the wife and I are looking at a trailer so what to do now??

It does not have a hitch or TBC of course but it does have the flat 4 pin plug at the back to use the bumper hitch.

I want the OEM hitch, 4/7 plug and the dash mounted TBC. Calling a couple of the dealers here one was only interested in selling me a new one with a tow package, not an option. The other was very helpful but was saying that an aftermarket TBC was the only option because my truck is not wired for the Ford TBC. Doing some research myself I find that I do have the plug for the TBC taped up by the steering column.

Does having the plug mean I'm good to plug it in and get the computer flashed or is the plug there but not wired up at the other end?? Does anyone know if I'm good to goDon't want to go buying a couple hundred $$$ worth or parts and find out it was all for nothing.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

So just buy an after market controller? Cheaper and work just as well. No need for dealer to flash computer.

I added a OEM Bumper-Frame hitch from a towing package truck. But you can buy a frame mount 1000/10000 lb (Most are class III not class III/IV, so becareful what you buy) hitch on etrailer.com. The 4/7 pin harness can be bought from the dealer and plugs into a plug above the spare tire on the drivers side.

Aside from that the Max tow package trucks have 3.73 gearing and a bigger radiator and and an auxilary tranny oil cooler.

Make sure you don't tow over what your truck is rated for with the gearing, motor, and payload.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

Call me weird but i like to use oe when ever possible. I would try to either find a used factory hitch or go buy new from ford. Then buy the trailer plug and wiring, install a factory tbc and get it flashed into the computer. Then you will have what would have come from the factory with piece of mind it will work correctly every time. Just my .02

If you have a pick and pull or something similar locally i would hit them up and try to get the hitch and plug with wiring. Would save a ton of money that way. The wiring should plug in above the spare tire.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

You also probably need to get a transmission cooler.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpony
Call me weird but i like to use oe when ever possible. I would try to either find a used factory hitch or go buy new from ford. Then buy the trailer plug and wiring, install a factory tbc and get it flashed into the computer. Then you will have what would have come from the factory with piece of mind it will work correctly every time. Just my .02

If you have a pick and pull or something similar locally i would hit them up and try to get the hitch and plug with wiring. Would save a ton of money that way. The wiring should plug in above the spare tire.

I've already decided that I'm going to go the OEM route because I like the look, I know that everything works together and from the reviews the Ford one sounds the best. Also I get 25% off parts at the Ford dealer across the street because my company uses them all the time for their fleet.

Checked the junk yards around here and the truck is still too new to get in them. Unless its a really bad crash but then chances are the hitch is bent.

Still looking to see if the plug would be "hot" or if it goes nowhere. Would any of the wires be "on" that I could hit with a multimeter before the computer is flashed?

Originally Posted by packplantpath
You also probably need to get a transmission cooler.

The truck is rated to pull 5000# as is off the bumper and not looking to exceed 6000# for a fully loaded trailer. Should be fine.

Last edited by EventHorizon; 01-13-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by winchested
So just buy an after market controller? Cheaper and work just as well. No need for dealer to flash computer.
Winchested, I have to disagree strongly with you here. An aftermarket is a different beast vs oem. I've towed for a long time with different aftermarket controllers and they are near useless in demanding conditions, unless you manually control the system. If you need to panic stop, it's an extra step and I only have so many heartbeats left. I think if I skip my heart one more time it won't start again.

The oem gives you proportional braking based on pressure, not time. Huge difference, especially if you are going heavy.

Quick Reply: No tow package but now want to tow