Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New truck!

So, I had an 04 Supercab FX4. I had the transmission rebuilt a couple years back, put a warrantied reman motor in beginning of the year, replaced the midpipe (clogged cats from engine problem) and had the driver's side rear brakes replaced (parking brake exploded). New tires, alignment and oil last month.

Then I totaled it.

Anyway, did the insurance thing, got decent money out of them for it, and set about trying to find a decent truck for cash.

Ended up with a 2009 STX with the 4.6 2v with just over 94k on it. Third brake light leaks and the front brakes need to be replaced but it just had the PS cooler bypassed to an auxiliary unit and overall the truck was kept in absolutely great condition. It was used for about a 30 minute round trip commute most of its life. Pretty new tires, BRAND new seat covers. I know the 4.6 2v with the 4 speed isn't turning any heads, but from what I can tell it's a solid motor for a commuter and can tow a bit if needed. Perfect for me. Power everything and I plan to swap in auto-headlights and look into getting a keypad (it has keyless entry, just no pad, I got used to being able to lock the keys in the truck so if I can get that back it'll surely be worth it.)

Anyway, a bunch of stuff came out of the old truck, mainly Ford emblem backup camera and double din radio and trifold bedcover.

Couple of questions if anyone knows;

I know I need the new center console piece to accommodate the radio, but is the harness the same as the 04-08s?

Are the beds actually different? I've seen people claim they used their bed covers from 04-08 trucks on this body but I'm not sure, obviously I'll measure when I get the chance, but it would be sweet if I could use that cover.

I don't have pictures yet, but I'll post some up soon. (I know I know, what kind of idiot posts a new truck thread without pictures!?)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,727 Posts

I'm using a LoRoll with a 04-08 model number on my 13. I think it is a few mm off from perfect, but it works. Lets in a bit more water at the corners than a matched cover would, I believe.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the radio wire harness will be the same along with the antenna adapter.
bed cover will fit if its just one that rests on the top, but if its one of the fiberglass bed covers that wrap over top the tailgate and bed sides (like a snug top), then no, it won't fit due to the tailgate being different.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 3,259 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by snowboarder7710
the radio wire harness will be the same along with the antenna adapter.
bed cover will fit if its just one that rests on the top, but if its one of the fiberglass bed covers that wrap over top the tailgate and bed sides (like a snug top), then no, it won't fit due to the tailgate being different.
The harness and or antenna adapter changed in 06/07. 04/05 was different so not sure it’ll be plug n play from a 2004.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
The harness and or antenna adapter changed in 06/07. 04/05 was different so not sure it’ll be plug n play from a 2004.
Whoops yep you're right. Antenna will need an adapter... The Metra cr-10 I believe. Harness will be the same except the red accessory wire will not work since Ford went to a can bus on the newer trucks...I think they started in 08 on that
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Whoops yep you're right. Antenna will need an adapter... The Metra cr-10 I believe. Harness will be the same except the red accessory wire will not work since Ford went to a can bus on the newer trucks...I think they started in 08 on that

Alright, so I've got an Antenna adapter (had one laying around from a previous vehicle) so that problem was solved.

I plugged in the old harness and get no power. I assume this is due to the can bus/ 12v accessory wire not being hooked up. Where can I tap into a keyed 12v source for that wire? I would break out the multimeter but I left it at work

Going to check the bed cover now.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Well, the bed cover definitely fits! I did have to shorten one of the rails but that's not a big deal, I still have to install the drains and a bit of weather stripping to seal it all up, but at least it fits.

Also got my backup camera on and the wires run, but not hooked up yet. I think I found a switched 12v solution, and I have an idea for my e-brake bypass switch. Hopefully I'll have time in the next couple of days to knock those things out, and seal that third brake light up and we'll be golden.

Finally a couple of pics too, don't mind the mess in the cab

Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.4
Alright, so I've got an Antenna adapter (had one laying around from a previous vehicle) so that problem was solved.

I plugged in the old harness and get no power. I assume this is due to the can bus/ 12v accessory wire not being hooked up. Where can I tap into a keyed 12v source for that wire? I would break out the multimeter but I left it at work

Going to check the bed cover now.
you can use this for the radio accessory: Accessory 1 VIOLET/GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
however, it will not stay on until you open your door like the oem radio did. you will have to purchase an integration module/harness for that. up to you on how important that function is.

here's the complete wire diagram info for your truck:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay...asp?tid=142615
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 PM

you can use this for the radio accessory: Accessory 1 VIOLET/GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
however, it will not stay on until you open your door like the oem radio did. you will have to purchase an integration module/harness for that. up to you on how important that function is.

here's the complete wire diagram info for your truck:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay...asp?tid=142615
Hmm, good point about the delayed shut off. I actually really like that feature. I did some searching and Crutchfield has an adapter harness for about $60. I might go that route to keep the feature. Thanks, would have been annoying to realize after the fact.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:58 PM

Great, that should work perfectly

Quick Reply: New truck!