Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIIIIG difference - LONG post.

Just wanted to introduce myself and also ask a few opinions / questions but first about the truck:

I recently picked up a 2011 Harley Davidson Edition 4WD. It was for sale for quite a while - and was/is a bit of a diamond n the rough (not sure how someone could let a $150K+ vehicle end up like this but i digress.... ) Lucky im a car guy I guess?

I live in Australia and the rules are VERY different here:

No officially imported US trucks (any and all are aftermarket conversions - Except for a batch of 2001 - 2006 F250's (which i had previously owned) imported RHD from Brazil.
No lifted trucks.
No wheels outside the edge of the guards (fenders)
Noise restrictions.
No F150 specific mod places / tuning places etc.
No parts places.

Basically, if you own one - you are on your own (and Poor!!) - A conversion of a 2004+ F150 costs around $44000.00 + the cost of the truck and import duties and GST)

I have previously had 2 of the 2001 - 2006 F250's and a botched attempt at a 2008 HD ( was "supposed" be converted by a guy in the US - but he took the $$ and did no work - only took 15 months to resolve...)

I love this truck - its a keeper! Its been a long time coming but the wait has been worth it!

It was originally built in Jan 2011 - and the conversion was completed and the truck registered in Dec 2011. I purchased it from the original owner that went through an ugly divorce and has let things go - I am trying to catch up on the deferred maintenance as we speak - but everything takes time (and $$$). I have no intention of taking it off road - but it is a 4WD - there are very very FEW F150's let alone HD versions in the country at all...... It only has 56,ooo klms (35,000 miles) and is stock except for a PTM Snug lid.

Issues at time of Purchase include:

- ALL 4 wheels BADLY kerbed (his excuse - the streets where he moved to after the divorce are too narrow - sure may be true - but holy cow - you should see these things!
- In desperate of Paint Correction
- Dirty everywhere - interior/bed/engine bay/paint/wheels
- No Nav Disc
- Clicking sound near centre console.

Issues picked up / noticed since purchase:

- Wheels are too far gone to be economically repaired.
- Hard-lid lock mechanism broken and bent out of shape.
- Faulty Parking Lights (its an AU thing)
- Faulty Repeater on drivers side.
- Service Records Missing - He's looking for them (but I'm not holding out hope)
- 1 x rear door speaker blown.
- RF CV joint worn (clicking badly on full lock)
- Rear pads worn almost to metal - and rotors RUSTY (How does that happen so fast on a <5 y.o. truck???
- Shudder in Front end (Rotor Deposits)

Currently done or in progress:

- Cleaned / shampooed the carpet and seats. Now MINT.
- Cleaned the door trims. (yes this was a job on its own)
- Added a few items from the $50 thread including LEDs throughout and a centre console light and the rear seat back pull down)
- Cleaned the bed / bed extender / pole/ step. It was a way bigger job than expected - it had paint (yes oil based house paint) and crap everywhere.
- Removed those UGLY stripes.
- Cleaned the engine bay
- Fixed the Parking lights
- Added a set of Raptor Style LEDS to the grill.
- Added an LED light strip under the tailgate.
- Added Ford OEM Mud Flaps after seeing how dirty the running boards got in the rain.
- Restored the working action of the LEDs in the mirrors (Must've been a ADR compliance thing to have them not working)
- Added tinted front windows to match the rear.
- Added a set of LED reverse light bulbs.

Parts arrived - Not yet installed:

- Full set Power stop Slotted Rotors and Pads.
- 2 sets Focal Splits
- Dynamat
- Set of Pirelli Scorpions to replace the shocking Chinese Tyres.

Wish / to do List:

- Catch up on all Maintenance items.
-
Blend door replacement
-
Door Detents- Front Camera / Lockpick. (suggestions???)
- Wet Sand and Paint correction.
- Replace wheels. (Not sure but leaning towards 22's in size - Worried that I will ruin the ride with 24's)
- Lowering kit ( On the fence - dont want to ruin the ride or sheer size of the truck)
- HID conversion
- Audio overhaul
- Lighted Door Sills

I'm sure i wont be able to stop modding - but I am lucky that I found this forum - seems like a good bunch here - and apologies for the long 1st post. I have a bunch of questions that i Iwll post in the relevant threads when I can!

Best

Full Boost

Last edited by Full Boost; 08-04-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:55 AM

Some of the day i picked it up and before and Afters of the Engine Bay....
Attached Thumbnails New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9206.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9261.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9263.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9268.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9299.jpg  

New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9289.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9297.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 AM

I also received some PTM Front and Rear badges from ebay and installed them:
Attached Thumbnails New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9361.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9375.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9363.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 AM

Befores of the Bed....
Attached Thumbnails New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9335.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9336.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9338.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 04:40 AM

Afters:
Attached Thumbnails New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9344.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9347.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9351.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9354.jpg   New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside:-img_9359.jpg  

Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Nice looking truck. The HD models are somewhat rare here as well so I can only imagine how rare it is down under. My question for is: Do you have a 6.2 LS3 in the white Holden you have in the garage?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool truck and sounds like that may be a one of a kind in your area. Looks like you are on the way to getting her back in shape.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

I can tell you how the rear pads get that worn , brake stands... Oh and they don't last that long on these trucks neither do the fronts.

My 2011 had new pads and rotors when I bought it with only 38K km on it.

What do you mean by conversion?? Did this truck start as lesser model?

$150k???

I'd cancel the order on pirrelli scorps they are a terrible tire. I know you're limited being 22s but they are junk.

Last edited by winchested; 08-04-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

What a unique vehicle for Oz and cool project too!

A few of my own suggestions;

- Door Detents- Front Camera / Lockpick. (suggestions???)
Have you read this thread? Many of us have installed the modified detent arms with very happy results!

- Replace wheels. (Not sure but leaning towards 22's in size - Worried that I will ruin the ride with 24's)
If it was mine, I'd buy a used set of 17" Raptor or 18" FX wheels if import fees from USA aren't ridiculous.
Otherwise, aftermarket of similar size local to you - not larger! OTOH, you already bought new tires, so best to stay that wheel size.
**EDIT**: I now realize the H-D version came with OEM 22" wheels as shown in this 2011 F-150 model line brochure. Although my own bias is smaller diameter wheels, many folks on this forum disagree. Instead of 17" or 18" wheels suggested before, I'd try to get replacements from same model if at all possible.

- Lowering kit ( On the fence - dont want to ruin the ride or sheer size of the truck)
No - please don't lower it!

Last edited by DirtDawg; 08-04-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Edited 2011 wheel information
Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Even with a weak AUD, that's over $110k USD. Ouch!

Sounds like you plan a urban street machine style rather than a typical truck look. So I'm surprised you don't like the graphics. Going to put something else on there?

Under the hood looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: New to me 2011 Harley with a BIIG difference - Lots of questions inside: