Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Just Right" Door Detent: Possible Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts
Default "Just Right" Door Detent: Possible Mod

A minor, though annoying issue, with my 2013 FX4 is the door detent positions.

One stops the door "Too Close In"....and the other stops it "Too Far Out".

I took a look at the door check arm and there may be a way to create a third "Just Right" detent.

Take a look at the picture...and see if you agree.

With the door in the full open position the first "detent" (the one that stops the door "Too Close In" to the truck) is visible as the skinnier part of the arm with the small hole in it.

The "Too Far Out" detent is not visible as that part of the arm is inside the body of the truck.

It looks to me like there is enough material between the two detents ("Too Close in", "Too Far Out") to carve out a third ("Just Right") detent.

This will require removing the door check arm and giving it a try.

The cost of a new door check arm assembly is around $40 from what I've been able to find.

Might see if I can locate a used one from a junk yard....and do a little experimenting.

Let me know what you think....and Thanks!

Northlight
Attached Thumbnails "Just Right" Door Detent: Possible Mod-img_0607.jpg  
The following 9 users liked this post by Northlight:
avvblanc01 (03-22-2014), Bobby Copeland Jr. (02-28-2017), crjjetjock (05-14-2013), esrevnoc (01-12-2014), eyeflyone2 (12-10-2012), Grandpa's Grocery Getter (12-06-2012), martymcflyjr85 (02-04-2014), oldzoomer (09-14-2014), Trio (03-07-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Girthy Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Northlight
A minor, though annoying issue, with my 2013 FX4 is the door detent positions.

One stops the door "Too Close In"....and the other stops it "Too Far Out".

I took a look at the door check arm and there may be a way to create a third "Just Right" detent.

Take a look at the picture...and see if you agree.

With the door in the full open position the first "detent" (the one that stops the door "Too Close In" to the truck) is visible as the skinnier part of the arm with the small hole in it.

The "Too Far Out" detent is not visible as that part of the arm is inside the body of the truck.

It looks to me like there is enough material between the two detents ("Too Close in", "Too Far Out") to carve out a third ("Just Right") detent.

This will require removing the door check arm and giving it a try.

The cost of a new door check arm assembly is around $40 from what I've been able to find.

Might see if I can locate a used one from a junk yard....and do a little experimenting.

Let me know what you think....and Thanks!

Northlight
I hope this works out!
I have to be very careful in my garage. I would hate to chip some paint off my truck by hitting my wife's car..
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree I hope this works. First indent I cant get out 2nd indent hits wall. I have to hold door to get out, good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

I have actually designed the molds that makes those parts for GM on a few different models, GM had 3 detent positions on the ones i designed for them, not sure why ford only uses two detent positions on there's???

anyway if you mod that link make sure you get the new detents pretty darn square to the other ramps and detents or you will wear out the roller pieces that are inside the door. the ones i made tooling for had a profile tolerance of .010" on all of the ramps and detents, personally i thought that tolerance was pretty tight for the application but I'm sure they have done analysis to figure out how good they need to be tolerance wise to last in real world applications
The following 2 users liked this post by gsxr1216:
paxfish (11-09-2015), yank51 (01-11-2017)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Default GSXR1216: Thanks!

Appreciate the advice on tolerances before I go after the door check arm with my Dremel!

When we get a door check arm to try this out on, I might just take it to my local machinist and ask him to make an accurate cut....

I like this machinist because he's a motorcycle rider.....as am I...and I'll bet you are based on your signature...am I right?

Northlight
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Northlight
Appreciate the advice on tolerances before I go after the door check arm with my Dremel!

When we get a door check arm to try this out on, I might just take it to my local machinist and ask him to make an accurate cut....

I like this machinist because he's a motorcycle rider.....as am I...and I'll bet you are based on your signature...am I right?

Northlight
he can probly make your new ramps with a nice pass with a decent diameter ball end and a pass with a flat bottom mill to make your detent then blend the cuts together. like i said i think .010" tolerance is crazy for what it is, but thats just my .02!

yes I ride and drag race motorcycles, my screen name is the same on about 20+ forums!

good luck with your project!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

I dont know why, but I have been having trouble loading images posted on this site lately.... so, I went out to look at my door arms. I see exactly what you are talking about, and I don't see why it wouldn't work. Its a great idea... I personally hate the fact they they only have 2 positions...... in fact, just 2 days ago my door swung into the wife's car..... luckily it wasn't too bad, but did scuff the clear coat on each car.

Let us know how it turns out.... i just might try it myself!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Awesome idea, this could take off like bilinvic's retrofit thread. Northlight's Retrofits anyone?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Update from "Northlight Labs"

Alright...we're gonna give the "Just Right" detent project a try.

I think I have the correct part number for the door check assembly:

9L3Z-1522886-A

Retail price is $24...seeing them from the online parts places for about $18.

If anyone can confirm that this is the right number, that would be great help.

I'll get one or two and have the local machine shop carve a third detent in between the existing "too far in" and "too far out" detents.

Disclaimer: Things are a little busy here at "Northlight Labs" right now.... what with curing major diseases, ending global warming and answering the age-old question, "Chicks...what's up with them, anyway?"......

So....be a little patient as we get the crack Northlight Labs "Just Right Detent" (Project #12-42A-Z-JRDT) up and running.....

Sincerely,

Northlight

Northlight Labs:
"Applying yesterday's technology to today's problems today for a better future tomorrow"
The following 2 users liked this post by Northlight:
Hotcat (05-17-2013), Zeus-FX4 (10-27-2013)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I would Patton this idea!!! If I was you

Quick Reply: "Just Right" Door Detent: Possible Mod