Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 2014 3.5 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 2014 3.5 overheating

I've seen so many post about overheating on these trucks but I can't find any help I have a 2014 f150 3.5 ecoboost I'm stuck with. Before I bought it, it had a brand new crate engine from ford installed. It done great for a few months then I found a coolant leak took it to the local shop and they replaced the turbo fittings and lines waited 3 weeks to get it back drove it for three days then it started to heat its never heated before but now all the sudden it does after a coolant leak repair. They replaced the water pump and thermostat no help. Took it to the ford dealer they found another leak fixed it and then after that said it needed a radiator. Went down the highway and it's heating again. I'm in a hole so sick of this truck I've got $3200 worth of repair and everything under the hood is new. What else can it be. It heats every single time going down the highway with no load I don't know what else to do
Old 01-29-2022, 01:33 AM

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Air bubbles in the coolant? Does the fan work? Could be debris in the cooling system.

Last edited by 13fx4150; 01-29-2022 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 13fx4150
Air bubbles in the coolant? Does the fan work? Could be debris in the cooling system.
the shop done a vacuum fill to make sure there was no air and as far as debria the motor is not even a year old and at this point ever part of the colling system has been replaced the only thing i can add is the transmission doesnt ever get hot only the motor
Old 01-29-2022, 07:58 AM

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts

What brand parts were installed? I believe the thermostat should be motorcraft brand only or it will likely cause issues.

Id also try burping the system, it’s easy to do yourself. Watch a YouTube video on it. Try to park at an incline(front of the truck higher than the rear).
Old 01-29-2022, 08:22 AM

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014fiveoh
What brand parts were installed? I believe the thermostat should be motorcraft brand only or it will likely cause issues.
Id also try burping the system, it’s easy to do yourself. Watch a YouTube video on it. Try to park at an incline(front of the truck higher than the rear).
Guitarist..........First are your fans running @ HIGH SPEED right after the start of your engine ???..........
If they are & as it gets up to running temperature (& especially if fans are screaming) it is very likely you do not have a OEM thermostat !!
For the cost involved here I would immediately install an OEM thermostat !!
My two trks (a 11 & a 12 both 5.0 ) in + 70 degree jun/july summer heat both started over heating in approx 5 min. after starting (faster as speed increased)
Changed to OEM stats & results were immediate as in night & day different...NO MORE ISSUES !!
If above solves your problem Plz report back so others can learn !! Should be many posts on above conditions & fix !!

Last edited by maco; 01-29-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 AM

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,705 Posts

You had a BRAND NEW FORD Crate engine installed, is that correct? Was the installer an AUTHORIZED Ford installer for warranty purposes and installation?

Last edited by digitaltrucker; 01-29-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:06 AM

Received 172 Likes on 136 Posts

There was a guy I think just last week on here about a fairly new thermostat going bad.
I'd be checking that thermostat in a pot of water on the stove with a radiator thermometer and see what it physically does.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:31 PM

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by MF cowboy
There was a guy I think just last week on here about a fairly new thermostat going bad.
I'd be checking that thermostat in a pot of water on the stove with a radiator thermometer and see what it physically does.
In my two cases of non OEM stats I did check one in boiling water etc. & it opened fine.... ( it opened just before the boiling point)
On the 2nd stat that failed....... 5-7 min. after leaving the auto shop that installed it ....... (fans were on high)
Stat was changed as a further measure of safety while doing other work (hoses) ......
I stopped @ a ford dealer & picked up a OEM stat & drove straight back to the auto shop where they immediately installed it....
Fix was immediate (fan speed was now normal with no overheating) & no problems since !!
Old 02-01-2022, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by maco
In my two cases of non OEM stats I did check one in boiling water etc. & it opened fine.... ( it opened just before the boiling point)
On the 2nd stat that failed....... 5-7 min. after leaving the auto shop that installed it ....... (fans were on high)
Stat was changed as a further measure of safety while doing other work (hoses) ......
I stopped @ a ford dealer & picked up a OEM stat & drove straight back to the auto shop where they immediately installed it....
Fix was immediate (fan speed was now normal with no overheating) & no problems since !!
sorry guys for the delay the engine was put in at a certified shop but it didnt heat when the engine was put in it heated about a year after and after the shop fixed a coolant leak that was found. But I got looking at the receipts and they told me they used a factory thermostat however I found that it was not factory. I took it back to the dealer they believe it's a wiring issue so what I will probably do is get a factory thermostat install it myself and go from there. Another question asked about the fans going to high right away and they do not. However when it gets half way it sounds like a freaking helicopter taking out which is extremely annoying but I an going to try the factory thermostat first and go from there it might be a couple days before I post the results
Old 02-01-2022, 07:09 PM
Dielectrically 5w30

Received 5,019 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Yup, sounds like the thermostat to me.
Fans doing that suggest it's ok until it needs to get cold water from the cooling side of the loop, if the stat isn't opening to let it in, your fans will go crazy as the system assumes it's just a hot day and whacks the fans right up.

Remember, the 3.5 and the 5.0 are both cold-side thermostats - they open and let cold water from the radiator loop into the normal cooling loop of the engine.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (02-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Need help with 2014 3.5 overheating