Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Advice

I have a 2009 Supercab XLT with the 5.4 engine. I bought it with high miles a few months ago (187K) and its been a nightmare. I got it from a used car dealer and it breaks down constantly. First it was little things like the battery, then a new starter, then some electrical wire bundle from the battery needed replacing, parking brake system was busted, SYNC system, the dreaded cam phaser that is still an issue, then the steering went out on me as the high pressure line blew. I've also made a ton of cosmetic fixes, but its just been too much to handle that I decided to sell it for a big loss. I had a buyer and went to my mechanic for a once over and found out there is oil in the coolant and some kind of debris in the oil so the head gasket is gone. I'm surprised the thing is running (no abnormal indications), but now I am figuring out what to do next. I'm about 12k into this truck. Should I sell it as is for someone mechanically inclined for a few grand? Fix the head gasket then sell it? or put in a new engine and sell it? I had it listed for $7500 and thought about dropping it to 5k. If I put an engine in it for 5k I won't want to take less than 10k. I was looking at Fraser engines. I just want the thing gone as its been a total lemon. The dealer will no take it back at this point. I appreciate any advice.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you might want to cut your loses. I believe that’s the engine that suffers from all the cam phaser problems as well. Bummer to hear you are having these difficulties
Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I might consider doing the head gaskets, but it doesn't sound like you'll get your money back out of the engine replacement. If you were going to keep it, then I'd consider the transplant, but not if it's going out the door.

A lot of it depends on how long you're willing to sit on the truck. The market for a working truck is bigger than the market for one that needs fixin', but if you can't recover the cost of the repairs, you're better off selling as-is.

My advice is to look up the KBB valuation for a truck in your truck's cosmetic condition with its mileage and options, then subtract the cost of the repairs you know it needs and sell it as-is. The middle of the KBB range is probably a good starting point; if you're a motivated seller, you can start at the bottom of the range, but bear in mind that you're almost certainly going to get low-balled, so you want to have some negotiating room.

F'rinstance, when my brother was looking for a truck, he found an '05 that needed work. The guy was a motivated seller, and was willing to take $2,000 for it, so we looked at the truck. I thought its condition would put its KBB valuation in the $3,500 to $5,000 range when fixed, and my brother had determined that it would take about $1,500 in parts (it needed pretty much a full timing set), so he bought the truck.

FWIW, I'm sorry you got stuck with a bad one, and I can't blame you for wanting to cut you losses. Best of luck!

Old 10-20-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

You can find a junk yard engine for around $500 and swap it out then sell it but don’t put in a new rebuilt cause you won’t get what you want out of it . Or take a loss now and sell for whatever .
Old 10-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

www.lkq.com They will deliver and give a warranty so if you go thru 1-100 used engines you're guaranteed a good one for the 1 price. Labor could drown you though.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Why would you buy a vehicle with 187,000 miles in the first place?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0nly
Why would you buy a vehicle with 187,000 miles in the first place?
Budget. Have you seen how flipping expensive used trucks are these days?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 1,145 Likes on 716 Posts

I'm guessing you didn't take this truck to a mechanic before buying it. Paying a mechanic to give it full inspection is worth every penny when buying an older high mile vehicle. Also a good idea these days to take a good scan tool with you when you are shopping to see if there are any codes in the computer.

Quick Reply: Need Advice