Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation & Radio unit constantly restart's itself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation & Radio unit constantly restart's itself?

Hi,

Brand new member and first time owner of a F150. I just purchased a 2012 F150 Lariat off of Ebay and so far the truck drives awesome. I'm a previous Dodge Ram owner and even though I loved the Hemi, the eco-boost is just as fun to drive.

Anyhow....

When I start the vehicle, the navigation display goes through the standard "Sound system by Sony" yadda yadda yadda. It then progresses like normal to the GPS map on the left 1/2 of the screen and the audio on the right 1/2 of the screen. About 3 seconds later, the entire system restarts and goes through the "Sound system by Sony"....
This process of restarting keeps repeating itself over and over again. For the few seconds the radio is on, if I adjust the volume, when the system restarts, it doesn't remember any changes I made (volume, station, temperature, etc) and it resets to what it was before I started the vehicle. And the frustrating thing is the issue isn't consistent. I drove for 15 minutes today and it started to work normal after 5 minutes. On the drive home, it reset itself the entire time. Aggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

I've done a ton of research on here (thanks for the great info!) and I've pulled fuses 2 (sync), 9 (radio display), and 29 (radio/navigation), and all fuses looked great. I've also reset system through the touch screen control panel (when it finally started to work). None of this seemed to make any difference.

Any other suggestions?
I called the mechanic and they suggested they may need to replace the entire unit.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 PM

I should have also included that I've disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and that did not fix anything.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:36 AM

Well this sucks. Just got home and the power to the head unit wouldn't turn off after getting out of the vehicle. Waited ten minutes and the head unit was still cycling through it's reboots. Had to pull the battery cable to secure the power.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

I have a 2013, not sure if different. I've seen similar behavior when it is trying to run its "maintenance" every few months. Sounds like yours is doing this, and stuck in a loop. For me, I have to let it finish to get proper behavior back. I don't know a way to force it to finish if it is glitching out, though. I wonder if it could be forced by IDS or forscan.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
Well this sucks. Just got home and the power to the head unit wouldn't turn off after getting out of the vehicle. Waited ten minutes and the head unit was still cycling through it's reboots. Had to pull the battery cable to secure the power.

Any thoughts?
Hi Swamp_Donkey,

Congrats on the new-to-you F-150! I hate to hear that you're experiencing these issues. Do you have the MyFord Touch: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/setup/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html

Originally Posted by Spiky
I have a 2013, not sure if different. I've seen similar behavior when it is trying to run its "maintenance" every few months. Sounds like yours is doing this, and stuck in a loop. For me, I have to let it finish to get proper behavior back. I don't know a way to force it to finish if it is glitching out, though. I wonder if it could be forced by IDS or forscan.
Hi Spiky,

It's best to let the scheduled system maintenance to complete. However, if this happens often, I recommend a trip to the dealer.

Shaay
Old 10-15-2016, 01:14 AM

LOL, I think you misunderstood, because that's exactly what I just said. Actually, there's basically nothing a person can do to alter the maintenance, either making it happen or stopping it. So....
Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM

When I start the vehicle, the navigation display goes through the standard "Sound system by Sony" yadda yadda yadda. It then progresses like normal to the GPS map on the left 1/2 of the screen and the audio on the right 1/2 of the screen. About 3 seconds later, the entire system restarts and goes through the "Sound system by Son
did you ever figure this out mine is having the same issue nothing send to fix it..
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Rebooting radio/nav problem

Hi,

Brand new member and first time owner of a F150. I just purchased a 2012 F150 Lariat off of Ebay and so far the truck drives awesome. I'm a previous Dodge Ram owner and even though I loved the Hemi, the eco-boost is just as fun to drive.

Anyhow....

When I start the vehicle, the navigation display goes through the standard "Sound system by Sony" yadda yadda yadda. It then progresses like normal to the GPS map on the left 1/2 of the screen and the audio on the right 1/2 of the screen. About 3 seconds later, the entire system restarts and goes through the "Sound system by Sony"....
This process of restarting keeps repeating itself over and over again. For the few seconds the radio is on, if I adjust the volume, when the system restarts, it doesn't remember any changes I made (volume, station, temperature, etc) and it resets to what it was before I started the vehicle. And the frustrating thing is the issue isn't consistent. I drove for 15 minutes today and it started to work normal after 5 minutes. On the drive home, it reset itself the entire time. Aggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

I've done a ton of research on here (thanks for the great info!) and I've pulled fuses 2 (sync), 9 (radio display), and 29 (radio/navigation), and all fuses looked great. I've also reset system through the touch screen control panel (when it finally started to work). None of this seemed to make any difference.

Any other suggestions?
I called the mechanic and they suggested they may need to replace the entire unit.

Thanks for your help!

Did You Ever Find A Solution to this problem? I am having exact same issue.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:06 PM

These days we have Forscan in a fairly robust state. It can probably reset the APIM to get out of this loop. Read the thread at the top of the forum for info on this.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Radio unit constantly restart's itself?