Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation/map issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Navigation/map issue

I have been experiencing map issues recently and I'm looking for a fix.

I have a 2014 FX4 with the full navigation. On occasion, while driving and following the maps directions, the nav says I'm one street over where I actually am. Additionally, when driving on the highway, nav tells me to exit then directs me to get back on the highway. If there a street that runs parallel to the highway, it says I'm on that Street when I'm actually on the highway.

Now, here's additional information that may help.

I've lifted the truck with a 4" lift and put 33s on it. Added a 5* tune mainly to adjust for the tire height. The speedo is dead-on accurate with a Garmin GPS I have...I mean perfectly dead-on.

Current tires are getting close to needing replacement at which time, I'll be going to 35x11.5x18.

I assume the tire height has messed with the Nav even though I adjusted height with the tuner; and will get worse if I go to an even taller tire.

Has anyone experienced this issue and has a solution?

Oh yea, I have 28k miles and have NOT taken it to the dealer yet. I think I know their answer so I'm looking for advice from you folks before I do.

Last edited by justjimmy; 08-31-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justjimmy

I have a 2014 FX4 with the full navigation. On occasion, while driving and following the maps directions, the nav says I'm one street over where I actually am. Additionally, when driving on the highway, nav tells me to exit then directs me to get back on the highway. If there a street that runs parallel to the highway, it says I'm on that Street when I'm actually on the highway.

I've lifted the truck with a 4" lift and put 33s on it. Added a 5* tune mainly to adjust for the tire height. The speedo is dead-on accurate with a Garmin GPS I have...I mean perfectly dead-on.

Current tires are getting close to needing replacement at which time, I'll be going to 35x11.5x18.

I assume the tire height has messed with the Nav even though I adjusted height with the tuner; and will get worse if I go to an even taller tire.

Oh yea, I have 28k miles and have NOT taken it to the dealer yet. I think I know their answer so I'm looking for advice from you folks before I do.
The navi sucks. I have a 14 fx4 too but stock and it does it. The lift and tires have nothing to do with and neither does the tuning
Old 08-31-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 2014 Lariat and I've had no problems with the navigation. It's always gotten me to where I need to be.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Jimmy, you need a reflash/reprogram of the GPS module in the truck. There is a TSB issued on this exact issue.

I personally fought the issue with stock tires and nothing seemed to work; i.e. battery disconnects, nav resets, etc only worked for a few days.
My GPS module was reprogrammed over a year ago, and even since I've gone from a 275/55/30 to 275/65/20 and have NOT experienced the neighboring road situation.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ2014
I have a 2014 Lariat and I've had no problems with the navigation. It's always gotten me to where I need to be.

Originally Posted by BlueDeviL
The navi sucks. I have a 14 fx4 too but stock and it does it. The lift and tires have nothing to do with and neither does the tuning
When I was stock, I had no issues.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a 2014 FX and I remember reading a thread a good while back about an issue where the Nav will not show the proper location on the vehicle on the screen. I'm pretty sure the solution was a hard reset of the Nav system. Someone mentioned a TSB for a known issue but I did a TSB search and couldn't find any TSB's involving the Nav system.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

This is a common issue. I had the same and from what I have learned for uses both gps and speed for its maps( when it looses/weak gps signal) . I have 305's and had the same issues crop up regularly.

I did the battery disconnect for 60 min( some say 20 is enough) and my problems were solved. I have a my13 fx4.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mrv99
This is a common issue. I had the same and from what I have learned for uses both gps and speed for its maps( when it looses/weak gps signal) . I have 305's and had the same issues crop up regularly.

I did the battery disconnect for 60 min( some say 20 is enough) and my problems were solved. I have a my13 fx4.
This works.. I had the same problem when I changed tire size. I did this and it's been fine ever since, it's been 2 years now.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by milchuck
I also have a 2014 FX and I remember reading a thread a good while back about an issue where the Nav will not show the proper location on the vehicle on the screen. I'm pretty sure the solution was a hard reset of the Nav system. Someone mentioned a TSB for a known issue but I did a TSB search and couldn't find any TSB's involving the Nav system.
Search for GPSM.
It apparently started as a complaint on the Lincoln side of the house.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

When I was stock, I had no issues.
Hi justjimmy,

Changing the tire size can throw the GPS off; however, it can be recalibrated at the dealer. The navigation system relies on something called "dead reckoning". This means that if your vehicle loses its GPS connection for any amount of time, it will recalibrate your current position based on the tire rotation.

Shaay

Quick Reply: Navigation/map issue