Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Magnaflow?

Ok so I am going to replace my stock muffler on my 09 FX4. Leaning towards the Magnaflow muffler with stock pipes and then maybe adding a tip. What do you all think? Should I do a 14" or 18"? I'm worried about drone in the cab but definitely want some growl and purr from it and want to tell a difference from the stock. Good idle, rev, and get up sounds but not too much drone on the highway. Any advice? And what are the specs on the muffler I should get (inlet and outlet sizes/offset or center/oval) Thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
BOOMER-SOONER!!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

definitely an item on my to-do list as well... if i remember right. the smaller the muffler the louder.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PWheels
Ok so I am going to replace my stock muffler on my 09 FX4. Leaning towards the Magnaflow muffler with stock pipes and then maybe adding a tip. What do you all think? Should I do a 14" or 18"? I'm worried about drone in the cab but definitely want some growl and purr from it and want to tell a difference from the stock. Good idle, rev, and get up sounds but not too much drone on the highway. Any advice? And what are the specs on the muffler I should get (inlet and outlet sizes/offset or center/oval) Thanks!
go 14" si/do with exits straight out the back or at 45 angles
you're not gonna get too much drone unless you go with a nascar exit, dump before/over axle, or straight pipe. Any other exit style is gonna be fine for keeping out drone and typically if its longer than a reg cab that helps too (I have a reg cab ranger with magnaflow nascar exit and drones on like a teacher on the last day of school).
so like I said 14" past the axle and don't dump it, you'll still hear a nice growl if you roll with the windows down a lot or put your foot into it but otherwise it will be decently quite and improve performance
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM

Thanks ProZach. I don't have alot of money to spend on this so do you think the stock piping and exit will work fine (behind the rear passenger tire)? In that case would it be SISO? And do you think I should add a tip (probably a 3.5 or 4 by 12 or something)?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 AM

Oh and one more thing...what is the difference with the center and offset pipe locations on the muffler? Does it matter? And also the size of the oval body? For example "3.5inX7in oval" and "4inX9in oval" Does it matter what size? What is the difference?

Last edited by PWheels; 02-08-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Master Electrician

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

in my experiences, mag does not give sound at idle. in your original post, it sounds like you are wanting both ends of the spectrum. you say that you want sound, but then you don't want drone. you don't get one without the other. i had mags on my true dual exhaust at first. i could not hear it at idle standing outside of the truck. when i put the gas down, it was a deep tone, but not loud. i like loud, so i went with 2 flowmaster 10 series. this video really matches the sound of my truck:
. the mustang, of course, has some bonus items to help to have an advantage over the f150. search on youtube. they have alot of combinations with 2010's that you might be able to hone in on.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the exact thing last week and I love the sound. I went with the 18" and I personally think that the 14" would have droned too much. My truck with the 18" has a little drone around 1900-2000 if you are accelerating. Other than that , it sounds great, especially under full throttle. I think the Magnaflow part number was 12246. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Hey stoney...do you have an 09? One guy I talked to said the pipes on the 09 are 2.75" so I would need a 3" inlet and outlet. If you do have the 2.75" pipes how did that work with the 2.5" inlet and outlet? And is center-center the way to go with the stock piping? What is the difference with the offset. What about the size of the oval you chose 5in x 8in oval? Does that affect anything and is there any reason you chose that over the others?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I am Batman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stoney
I just did the exact thing last week and I love the sound. I went with the 18" and I personally think that the 14" would have droned too much. My truck with the 18" has a little drone around 1900-2000 if you are accelerating. Other than that , it sounds great, especially under full throttle. I think the Magnaflow part number was 12246. Good luck!
At 1900-2000 rpm is cruising range on the HWY for me. How bad is the drone while cruising on the hwy ?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PWheels
Hey stoney...do you have an 09? One guy I talked to said the pipes on the 09 are 2.75" so I would need a 3" inlet and outlet. If you do have the 2.75" pipes how did that work with the 2.5" inlet and outlet? And is center-center the way to go with the stock piping? What is the difference with the offset. What about the size of the oval you chose 5in x 8in oval? Does that affect anything and is there any reason you chose that over the others?
I have an 09 also. We measured the tailpipe and it was about 2 5/8. My muffler guy just put the muffler on the expander and expanded it enough to slide over the inlet and expanded the tailpipe. On the coice of muffler, we just went through what he had on the shelf and luckily he had the one that fit. It was not oval though, it was rectangular shaped like a turbo muffler.
Also the drone I spoke about is really not as noticeable at highway speeds but rather under initial acceleration. Not sure whay that is but between 65-85 when the truck is between 1750 and 2100 or so it does not have much of a drone at all. Maybe because of the load under acceleration vs cruising? Not sure. Hope that helps..

Quick Reply: Magnaflow?