Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure, failed engine. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure, failed engine. What are my options?

My 2012 F150 Ecoboost with 165,000 miles is experiencing low oil pressure issues that two shops have attributed to sludge build up. Previous efforts were made to change out the oil pressure sensor (sensor and connector) but that did not solve the problem. Both shops are recommending a new motor. However, material and labor put my cost around $10,000 for a truck that is worth less than that running. I have thought about parting out the truck however I have nowhere to keep it while doing so. Have thought about scrapping it but I dont want to let the whole truck go for $1000 which is what I was quoted. I am fairly handy and have thought about buying a used motor and doing the swap myself. What would y'all recommend for someone in my situation.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:10 PM

Received 375 Likes on 292 Posts

Having 200k on an 11 been wondering the same. Why not send heads, block, crank and rods to a machine shop and rebuild it yourself?
Or don’t we do that anymore?

2011 XLT Screw 4x4 3.5l 3:55LS
Old 02-07-2024, 11:38 PM

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts

Car-Part.com check prices maybe swap out an engine...It will be a battle to find something reasonable but worth @ least checking .... I deal with LKQ (3 months warranty) & I have bought many motors from them with good results (but on 5-0 not an Eco) mileage will deternine prices......$10,000.00 for a running truck is not that bad if you can get 2-5 more years.... Good :Luck !!
Old 02-08-2024, 07:23 AM
HOPEFUL

Received 271 Likes on 201 Posts

Drive it til it fails.You might be surprised how long it lasts. At this point what's it gonna hurt? Maybe try doing some sort of engine flushes, although with the turbos that may cause more problems than what it would help. In the meantime, buy a used engine, and have new timing components installed and get it re-gasketed in preparation for installing it. If you can afford it, buy new turbos as well.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:48 AM

Received 505 Likes on 310 Posts

So obviously you did 10,000 mile oil changes as Ford insists is adequate.
The following users liked this post:
Ronin57 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:42 AM
Beeps and Boops

Received 1,051 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by maco
Car-Part.com check prices maybe swap out an engine...It will be a battle to find something reasonable but worth @ least checking
That would be tough because you'd have to take the car-part price and add the cost of doing a complete timing job. It would be silly not to do timing on a used 3.5 when it's out of the truck, because odds are you'd end up doing it in a year or two anyway.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:30 AM

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Laminar
That would be tough because you'd have to take the car-part price and add the cost of doing a complete timing job. It would be silly not to do timing on a used 3.5 when it's out of the truck, because odds are you'd end up doing it in a year or two anyway.
I agree I did a motor search in the USA after I posted "WOWSER" I couldn't believe the prices they wanted for high mileage 3.5 motors (ridiculously high prices & nothing with lower mileages)

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2024, 11:08 AM
Big truck Driver

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts

I got lucky.. I got a spare block and transmission for my 5.4 3v for 4500 Canadian.. with the exchange rates, maybe look up here in Canada for another block..

My 2010 only has 157k miles on it.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_elnser
My 2012 F150 Ecoboost with 165,000 miles is experiencing low oil pressure issues that two shops have attributed to sludge build up. Previous efforts were made to change out the oil pressure sensor (sensor and connector) but that did not solve the problem. Both shops are recommending a new motor. However, material and labor put my cost around $10,000 for a truck that is worth less than that running. I have thought about parting out the truck however I have nowhere to keep it while doing so. Have thought about scrapping it but I dont want to let the whole truck go for $1000 which is what I was quoted. I am fairly handy and have thought about buying a used motor and doing the swap myself. What would y'all recommend for someone in my situation.
I don't know, I think you're undervaluing your truck. In my area, your truck (with a good running engine) would be worth anywhere from $15k to $20k, depending on trim level. It could be worth paying for a new engine if the rest of the truck is in good condition. How much more would it cost to replace the truck, and likely have a monthly payment for years?

My situation is a little different than yours. I'm having an intermittent low oil pressure warning on my 2014 EB I bought last December. It's happened three times in two weeks. Once was when backing into my garage and the other two times happened when I was driving about 30 mph. Oil level is full and engine temps are normal when it happens. So far it's only happened well after the engine has warmed up. I suspect it's a bad oil pressure switch, which I'll be changing out as soon as it warms up a little. I'm kind of hoping it's an engine issue though because I purchased a 3 year extended power train warranty when I bought the truck. I wouldn't mind having a new engine in my 10 year old truck. The truck is otherwise in excellent shape.
The following users liked this post:
BlkNBlu (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 11:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Are those engines prone to sludging? I didn't think they were...maybe its as simple (?) as replacing or cleaning the oil pickup or the oil pump (or both).
Not sure how labor intensive that is...

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure, failed engine. What are my options?