Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've located the loud turn signal. Need help removing the instrument panel.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've located the loud turn signal. Need help removing the instrument panel.

In my quest to track down the loud turn signal I'm now pretty sure that it's encased inside the main instrument panel above the steering wheel. I was able to get the surrounding plastic piece off then I unscrewed the 2 bolts (7mm) and 2 screws (T15's) that looked like they were holding the instrument panel in place but then I could only tip it back and forth but it wouldn't come out - something else is holding it in place that I can't see.

It looks like the instrument panel is about 1.5" thick and I can see some plastic tabs on the back that will just lift off to reveal the back of the panel - I just need to get it out first. I'm hoping there's enough room in there to wrap the "blinker" with something to deaden the noise.

While I was doing this I went ahead and did the USB2 mod by swapping the USB cable positions so that the standard SYNC port on the dash is now my USB2 and routed a USB cable to my glove box where I'll have a hard drive with my MP3's. That's got to be the easiest and most useful mod ever!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Buehler.......Buehler.......Buehler.......?!?!

LOL! Nobody knows how to remove the instrument panel?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish i could help...i haven't had a need to take my dash apart yet...i assume that's pretty much the case with everyone.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Vehicle Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it makes noise?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

This might help a bit...

Last edited by seadragon; 04-26-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by seadragon
This might help a bit...
Thanks Seadragon. I got as far as removing part #4 in pic #3 but couldn't get the instrument panel to come out after removing the visible screws around it.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tampawright
it makes noise?
It's only the loudest turn signal I've heard in my life! Gets lots of laughs from passengers and people I'm talking to on the phone. It's not as noticeable when you're going 70mph but when you're sitting in an intersection waiting to turn left it's crazy loud.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahuhipa
Thanks Seadragon. I got as far as removing part #4 in pic #3 but couldn't get the instrument panel to come out after removing the visible screws around it.
Here's a few more pics and description... Looks like it should just come out:

Removal
  1. If installing a new Instrument Cluster (IC), upload the IC configuration information to the scan tool.
  2. Lower the tilt steering column to the lowest position.
  3. If equipped with a column shift, apply the parking brake and lower the gear shift to the lowest gear.
  4. Remove the 2 screws and the IC center finish panel.
  5. Remove the 4 screws and the IC.
  •  
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.

Installation

1. Position the IC, connect the electrical connector and install the 4 screws.
  2. Install the IC finish panel and the 2 screws.
  3. If installing a new IC, download the IC configuration information from the scan tool into the new IC.
  4. NOTE: If a new IC is installed, the IC and the PCM require a parameter reset to allow the IC and the PCM to recognize each other. Failure to carry out the parameter reset to the IC and the PCM may result in a no start condition. NOTE: If equipped, the vehicles Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) keys must be programmed to the new IC. If installing a new IC, carry out the parameter reset and key programming procedure.

Last edited by seadragon; 04-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Shadow Black 2018 FX4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound you never forget.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by seadragon
Here's a few more pics and description... Looks like it should just come out:

Removal
  1. If installing a new Instrument Cluster (IC), upload the IC configuration information to the scan tool.
  2. Lower the tilt steering column to the lowest position.
  3. If equipped with a column shift, apply the parking brake and lower the gear shift to the lowest gear.
  4. Remove the 2 screws and the IC center finish panel.
  5. Remove the 4 screws and the IC.
  •  
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.

Installation

1. Position the IC, connect the electrical connector and install the 4 screws.
  2. Install the IC finish panel and the 2 screws.
  3. If installing a new IC, download the IC configuration information from the scan tool into the new IC.
  4. NOTE: If a new IC is installed, the IC and the PCM require a parameter reset to allow the IC and the PCM to recognize each other. Failure to carry out the parameter reset to the IC and the PCM may result in a no start condition. NOTE: If equipped, the vehicles Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) keys must be programmed to the new IC. If installing a new IC, carry out the parameter reset and key programming procedure.

I think is exactly what I needed. Now I have my weekend project. Thanks again seadragon.

Quick Reply: I've located the loud turn signal. Need help removing the instrument panel.