Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions for Integrated Brake controller for Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Instructions for Integrated Brake controller for Dealer?

I've got my brake controller installed with the guidance given here on the forum and am about to head to the dealer to get it turned on.

Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for the steps needed to be done for the the computer to be activated?

I'd like to take the instructions with me to try to argue down the 90 buck labor price the service writer chick is quoting over the phone. (this was after she told me that the 2011 didn't have that option!)
Thanks

2011 Screw 4x4 ecoboost
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Here ya go

Instructions for Integrated Brake controller for Dealer?-image-3973331273.jpg
The following 3 users liked this post by RES4CUE:
lennyzx11 (07-30-2013), NorthernYankee (07-30-2013), Rob1334 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default trailer brake done!

Armed with the instructions in hand, I headed down to the dealer. As I walked in, Luck would have it that a guy I used to work with long ago was a mechanic there. I showed him what I had, he went to his box and got the scanner and I told him I wanted to time it for the forum.

From opening the door and plugging in and following the instructions step by step to closing the door with key off took him 4 minutes and 37 seconds!

Originally I was quoted 200 bucks for the part at the same dealer. and 180 to install it.

I was quoted 90 bucks to turn it on but another dealer quoted me 40 which was about 45 miles from me. The part I purchased from Fairway Ford on ebay for 131 bucks free shipping (spoke to Kevin) and he said that they usually charge around 40 but a lot of dealers do it free.
Hooked up to my travel trailer, and looked at the truck apps menu and there is now a second screen for the trailer stuff. It has a checklist for connecting the trailer, info on setting the controller, and some other kinda neat bells and whistles regarding the trailer controller.

Total price 131 bucks vs the 380 it would have cost.
Time to install controller Less than 30 minutes using write ups located here for guidance.
Tools needed 7 mm socket and ratchet or nut driver. (and a knife to cut the tape securing the plug to wiring harness next to the diagnostic port under the dash.)

Now onward to the USB2 mod after I get the right cable.

Thanks to all for sharing info on these trucks. I bought mine new in Dec 2011 but had it in storage for all of 2012 due to my job and just now started messing with it. Glad to see you guys got a head start so I can do the mods that you've already worked out most of the easy ways!

Lenny
2011 Blue Pearl 4x4, Ecoboost, SCREW cab, 5.5 bed.
MODS so far
LineX bed liner,Nerf bars,and now integrated brake controller.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by lennyzx11
Armed with the instructions in hand, I headed down to the dealer. As I walked in, Luck would have it that a guy I used to work with long ago was a mechanic there. I showed him what I had, he went to his box and got the scanner and I told him I wanted to time it for the forum.

From opening the door and plugging in and following the instructions step by step to closing the door with key off took him 4 minutes and 37 seconds!

Originally I was quoted 200 bucks for the part at the same dealer. and 180 to install it.

I was quoted 90 bucks to turn it on but another dealer quoted me 40 which was about 45 miles from me. The part I purchased from Fairway Ford on ebay for 131 bucks free shipping (spoke to Kevin) and he said that they usually charge around 40 but a lot of dealers do it free.
Hooked up to my travel trailer, and looked at the truck apps menu and there is now a second screen for the trailer stuff. It has a checklist for connecting the trailer, info on setting the controller, and some other kinda neat bells and whistles regarding the trailer controller.

Time to install controller Less than 30 minutes using write ups located here for guidance.
Tools needed 7 mm socket and ratchet or nut driver. (and a knife to cut the tape securing the plug to wiring harness next to the diagnostic port under the dash.)

Thanks to all for sharing info on these trucks. I bought mine new in Dec 2011 but had it in storage for all of 2012 due to my job and just now started messing with it. Glad to see you guys got a head start so I can do the mods that you've already worked out most of the easy ways!

Lenny
MODS so far
Glad it worked out, I wish I had the 4.3" LCD info screen but am still very happy with my integrated controller!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by lennyzx11

Lenny
MODS so far
Post where you get the cable for the USB2. All my searching has not found one that will be long enough to work, I did not really search very hard. I can get the Ford one for $42.00
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kbass24emtp

Post where you get the cable for the USB2. All my searching has not found one that will be long enough to work, I did not really search very hard. I can get the Ford one for $42.00
Monoprice.com, they have them cheap.
The following users liked this post:
kbass24emtp (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

mine flashing was free because I bought the TBC from them!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
mine flashing was free because I bought the TBC from them!
Mine was $28, I thought that was reasonable.

Quick Reply: Instructions for Integrated Brake controller for Dealer?