Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC air flow shuts off when most needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HVAC air flow shuts off when most needed

My apologies if there is similar topic already exists, tried to search but did not find the exact same issue posted yet.

My truck is a 2013 V8 AWD platinum with auto / digital air control. Recently started the weird behavior of shutting the airflow down when it starts running at max ventilation. Obviously it happens when most needed. I have played with the set up to validate it, and only happens when it tries to run max with outside temperature high. If i manually turn down the ventilation it runs with no issues. It starts running at max and in a few second it shuts down. Sometimes it tries to come back in a few minutes but only lasts seconds.
I have checked there is cooling, the coolant pipe is cold and wet with condensation.
what may be the problem? I have googled it and people suggesting various possible reasons like the relay, the resistor, the blower motor but no clear flow of diagnostics
thank you
Jozsef
Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is sounds like the blower motor resistor is failing. Once the resistor cools a bit, the system attempts to work as designed, the resistor gets hot again and does not perform properly. If you neglect to repair, the resistor will go out completely and the blower motor will not operate at all.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a1richard
Is sounds like the blower motor resistor is failing. Once the resistor cools a bit, the system attempts to work as designed, the resistor gets hot again and does not perform properly. If you neglect to repair, the resistor will go out completely and the blower motor will not operate at all.
thank you
How do i validate and repair / replace?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-f...issues-248650/

Dealer replaced both the resistor and blower motor when mine was doing the exact same thing.