Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F150 HVAC blower issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2013 F150 HVAC blower issues

Hello All, new to the forum and to the f150. made the switch from chevy after having nothing but problems on my 2012. picked up the truck jan. 2nd, new 2013 supercrew with 5.0, XLT package. love the truck, so much better than the last one, in just about every aspect. Having said that, as of 3 weeks ago i have been having a problem with mine. i'll try to condense the story a little.
while driving, had the blower setting at midway (i have the manual climate control) and then the blower just quits, i adjust to next speed and it starts working again for about 2-3 minutes and quits again. this contiues all the way home from work-45 minutes, changing speeds and working then quitting. get home shut the truck off. come back about an hour later and start truck and all seems well. however, it now has no high speed. this is the weird part, when set on high it still blows air but at the setting right below high. in other words, there is no difference in fan speed between high and the speed below it. i did discover that if you shut the truck off for about 30 seconds you get high back for about a minute then you can audibly hear the fan slow down a speed.
i took the truck in, had it for a day and couldn't duplicate problem. pick truck up and sure enough its working. on my way home fan quits again and process starts all over. it does this off and on and i finally get it to the dealer a week later with it acting up. service manager and tech come out and try new resistor, no effect. they agree to order new head unit. part comes in last friday and i drop my truck off on the 21st. they still have my truck as of typing this. they stated they have tried 2 head units, 2 resistors and 1 blower and don't know what is wrong and have contacted ford corporate. I have been completely satisfied with how they are handling this and they do have me in a loaner/rental. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this, i have searched and can not find anything like what mine is doing.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
See? It works in monkeys!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Well.. that's weird.

The first thing that my mind went to was resistance, in that there's a bad ground. Sounds like your dealer has thrown one too many head units and resistors at it; time to start hunting for the wiring issue between the controller and blower motor.

I do notice however that my fan speed dial is a little slow to respond.. I chalk this up to it being a resistance-based switch that's computer controlled.

Hope they get you sorted out!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Madorski
Well.. that's weird.

I do notice however that my fan speed dial is a little slow to respond.. I chalk this up to it being a resistance-based switch that's computer controlled.

Hope they get you sorted out!
funny you mention that, i was thinking the same thing when i started having the issue. on mine, if turned from the lowest setting to the highest quickly it takes a good 5-6 seconds to get to high.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The heater blower motor went on my 2013 F 150 .y dealership stated a lot of the 2013's are having issues. Snow getting through the vents and shorting the blower motor. Design flaw I was told and to expect a recall.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by crewsn
...it now has no high speed. this is the weird part, when set on high it still blows air but at the setting right below high. in other words, there is no difference in fan speed between high and the speed below it...
Hey crewsn,

Shoot me your info in a PM so I can look into ways to help. To get the ball rolling, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. As soon as I have your info, I'll start checking out some options to assist.

Crystal
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by FordService
Hey crewsn,

Shoot me your info in a PM so I can look into ways to help. To get the ball rolling, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. As soon as I have your info, I'll start checking out some options to assist.

Crystal
I appreciate you taking the time to post on this thread, but at this time i'am satisfied with what my dealer is doing. i don't want to escalate things just yet. i actually got a call late yesterday saying they think they have it figured out and will let me know something today after they do some final checks. i will post the results once i find out the verdict on if it is fixed or not. again, i appreciate you following up in this thread.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Just wanted to follow up. got a call this morning the truck is fixed and ready to go. i spoke with the service manager to get the low down on what it was. maybe the following will help some others out at some point.

after trying multiple parts they thought they had it fixed with a reflash of the PCM with the new module installed. this only lasted a day and it started acting up agian. while waiting to hear back from ford engineers the tech did some snooping of his own. he discovered that when the blower would act up the voltage being read by the PCM was dropping to 12 -13 volts. doesn't sound to bad but because these trucks have so many electronics the charging system is supposed to maintain anywhere from 14-15.5 volts. so he checks the alternator output at the alternator, it is putting out 15 volts. but at the same time the PCM says it's only putting out 12.5. Tech verify's the actual voltage at PCM is in fact 15 volts. this equals - BAD PCM!! the service manager calls an engineer at dearborn and tells him about this and ask why this would affect the blower motor. the engineer tells him that these trucks have a "voltage shed" program in them. what this means is if you have a charging system starting to fail, the PCM will start pulling voltage from "non essential modules" in the truck in order to maintain the main operating systems so the truck will still be driveable. here's the crazy part, apparently there was another truck in San Antonio that was doing the exact same thing a few months ago. that dealership couldn't figure out the problem and it became a "ford buy-back". so the engineers were happy to find the potential solution to their problem. they are having the service manager write a detailed report to have on file.

through all of this my dealership has been excellent and has been top notch. they have communicated with me on a daily basis and it would seem they actually took matters into there own hands while waiting to hear back from ford engineers. i give big props to Mac Haik ford in georgetown on this one.
i'll follow up if i have any more problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by crewsn:
Blondie70 (04-05-2017), GrasslandHVAC (09-14-2016)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the follow up OP. Nice for a change to hear a good outcome from a dealer visit instead of the usual nightmare stories people post. Glad you have your ride back!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM

just wanted to follow up since it has been awhile and I had a request of fellow 2013 XLT owners with the 7 speed blower speed dial. I am still having issues with my blower losing high speed about 80% of the time. The truck has been to the dealer multiple times and has literally thousands of dollars in parts and man hours put into this what Ford corp. calls "normal" issue. The dealership has been great and is on my side with the issue but Ford corp. is being stubborn. here's the issue in detail; when on high speed the blower will slow down to what i call the medium high speed so that there is no difference in speed when switching between the 2. in other words I have 2 medium high speeds. fan still works at both settings but no increase in speed. hope that makes sense. the request i have from fellow 13 xlt owners with this blower set up is to see if yours does this as well. sometimes it takes hours of driving for it to do this and sometimes just a few minutes. It would be great to get enough responses that i could show the higher ups that this is indeed not "normal". i'll keep everyone posted and thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM

OK, Final follow up since this mess is finally over. After 32 days in the shop,19 trips to the dealership, 7 rental cars, 1 demo truck, 9 separate attempts to fix the truck (3 of those by a ford field service engineer), over 300 miles put on the truck for diagnostic purposes and countless hours in phone calls, filling out complaint forms and e-mails it's over.
Here's the story, after having the HVAC issue and them not being able to fix it after 3 1/2 months, ford took the stance that the issues were "normal". upon getting this decision i filed a BBB complaint form stating i would like a replacement truck. once the BBB accepted the complaint and it was considered valid, ford had 14 days to respond or we were going to arbitration. on day 8 my case worker calls and says Ford responded with "we would like to have a service engineer look at the truck". i just laughed at this and said absolutely not as they have already had an engineer look at truck 3 times (like they didn't know this already)! my case worker tells me he will let them know this. I don't hear another word from anyone until the day after the deadline is up (day 15). they are calling to schedule the arbitration meeting and said ford never responded. so meeting is set for June 3rd. So guess who calls on June 2nd to say they would replace the vehicle!
So at this point i am contacted by the Reaquired Vehicle Department (RAV). this process takes another almost 3 weeks to complete.
So here i am, 1 week and 2 days shy of 5 months with a replacement truck.
I do want to state that the dealership, Field engineer, folks at the BBB and even the folks at the RAV department were top notch and very pleasant to work with. my biggest disappointment was with Ford corp. as i was left with the feeling that they were going to wait as long as possible to see if i would carry this all the way through to the end. Kind of a "calling my bluff" type of scenario. But in the end they did make it right so on to the next adventure.

Sorry for the long read but i wanted to post this as i did a lot of researching when this all began and couldn't find much on how this process works. so if anyone has any questions shoot me a PM and maybe i can help.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 HVAC blower issues