Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is your Roll-X holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is your Roll-X holding up?

Looking for a tonneau cover and it looks like the BAK Roll-X is my best option. How is your's holding up?

One issue that concerns me, it looks like you need to unlatch the cover before closing the tailgate, then latch it again. Is this true, and if it is how irritating is it? Seems like it would be if you are opening/closing often without needing to roll up the cover. Also, what happens if you (or the SO) forgets and closes the tailgate without unlatching the cover first?

Finally, any interesting alternatives out there (rolling, secure, doesn't take up bed space)?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My only issue is getting dirt on the side rails. I got some on mine and it worked its way into the hinge and made it rather stiff. The tab at the tailgate actually bent due to being so stiff.

Bak did send me a replacement though. They said it was a defect with my cover. I don't buy that, so I will make sure I try my best to keep from throwing a shovel full of dirt on the rails.

During summer I did have to unlatch the cover before I closed the tailgate. If you do not, the rubber seal on the back just folds under itself weird. Now that it is so cold out, the rubber seal isn't so pliable, and I can open and close the tailgate without unlatching the cover.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

New truck for me and I've only had the Roll-X for about a month. So far, so good. I open and close the tailgate without unlatching the top all the time. Sometimes the rubber edge on the back of the Roll-X gets caught and folds under a bit, it's easy to run your finger along the edge and unfold it.

Quick Reply: How is your Roll-X holding up?