Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is too much trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much trailer?

I have a 2011 screw with the ecoboost, the 3.55 rear end, and the 5.5 ft box. I currently have a 27 foot travel trailer camper that weights 5700 lbs empty. I am looking at getting a new camper as the family is getting too big for the one we have. The two I am looking at are both 37 feet long and 11 feet high. They both have a hitch weight of 850 lbs. One weighs 7026 lbs. and the other weighs 8600 lbs. empty. I use an weight distribution hitch, and am thinking of getting air bags for the rear suspension. Does anyone have a setup similiar to this? I want to make sure these aren't too much trailer for the truck. I do not live in a hilly area, but we do get quite a bit of wind. The camper dealer says that my truck can handle it, but he is trying to sell me the camper, so I wanted to get opinions from other F150 owners. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

If you are going to tow this much weight on a regular basis, you are in Super Duty Territory. By the time you load the trailer and add passengers to the truck...you are going to be right at the max. I always like to have a little cushion when it comes to towing. I like to keep things about 25% under the max rating. Just my .02.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:24 AM
GIGGITY

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If your going to pull this id pull the lighter one. Add an add a leaf and air bags. Maybe a high flow air filter and a tuner(if they have any for these trucks yet). Like he said, you should be in super duty territory for this. Your maxing out your wieght and i hate to say it, but that truck is gonna be screaming pulling that thing. Anything performance you can get, get it. With a 3.55 rear end it will pull HARD.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I have a 2011 screw with the ecoboost, the 3.55 rear end, and the 5.5 ft box. I am looking at getting a new camper as the family is getting too big for the one we have. The two I am looking at are both 37 feet long and 11 feet high. They both have a hitch weight of 850 lbs. One weighs 7026 lbs. and the other weighs 8600 lbs. empty.
What's yer door sticker say for max towing capabilities ... and how much does your family weigh? :-)

I've got an 11 screw ecoboost 6.5' bed with max tow (3.73 gears) and a 35' 7500 lb empty trailer. It's flat here and I drive like I'm 90. We have a blue ox WDH with 1,000 lb bars. Took a few tries, but the truck/hitch/trailer are almost working together now. The truck is finally level when the trailer is connected, but sway is still a problem. I have some adjustments I need to try still. I also need to get to a scale to see how the weight is distributed to make sure none of the individual axles are over weight and that the trailer isn't side loaded or anything like that.

We were driving west with 15-20 mph winds coming from the south. Sway started being a problem at 55mph, so we had to take it slower than we wanted, but it handled just fine at 55 and below.

The eco will likely handle the 7k lb trailer just fine, even with 355's, but can't say how bad the sway will be.

If you pull the trigger, please let me know what WDH you have and how well it works.

Any chance the dealer will let you pull the trailer down the highway a spell?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I don't want to move up to a different truck. I love my F150. I don't have the max tow package. I probably should have ordered it with that and the 3.73 gears, but I guess I wasn't thinking of upgrading campers when I ordered the truck. I do have the towing package with the factory brake controller. I would prefer not to add a leaf as I don't want to effect my comfort in everyday driving which is 95% of the time. We don't go camping a bunch each summer. Maybe four or five trips. Most trips are within 100 miles. That being said, it would be nice to take it on a road trip some times. My family with dog weigh about 650 lbs. The dealer that has the lighter camper will let me hook it up to my truck and drive it up and down the highway before I buy it.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a 2011 screw with the ecoboost, the 3.55 rear end, and the 5.5 ft box. I currently have a 27 foot travel trailer camper that weights 5700 lbs empty. I am looking at getting a new camper as the family is getting too big for the one we have. The two I am looking at are both 37 feet long and 11 feet high. They both have a hitch weight of 850 lbs. One weighs 7026 lbs. and the other weighs 8600 lbs. empty. I use an weight distribution hitch, and am thinking of getting air bags for the rear suspension. Does anyone have a setup similiar to this?
First- the 3.55 rear end is not the best for this heavy of a load. 3.73 would have been much better.

Using the 7026 weight (dry), add 500 lbs for propane, food, gear, maybe 500 for the family, 6000 lbs for the truck, this is 14,000 lbs gross. What is your GCWR? Using the 8600 lb trailer puts you at 15,600 gross.

How is the truck loaded? What I mean is, with you all in the truck, what does the rear end weigh at the rear tires? Mine was about 2800, half tank gas, just me in. GAWR is 4000 leaving 1200 for cargo/hitch weight. You mention 850 hitch weight, add another 100 for the hitch itself, maybe 200 in family (most of the family will be on the front axle I found). You are now right at the GAWR (rear), without anything else in the truck like a cooler or case of beer. Yikes.

Adding a spring/air bag does not increase your GAWR, just with level.

Also, what are your tires rated at and at what air pressure? Mine are rated at 2150 but only at 44 PSI so they HAVE to be inflated to 44 when towing to get the max load rating.

IMHO both trailers are a bit much.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I would prefer not to add a leaf as I don't want to effect my comfort in everyday driving which is 95% of the time.
I added a Superspring brand helper. It does not affect day to day ride ride or comfort. When the rear end is loaded, the spring comes in to play and levels the ride.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Too much trailer to tow on any type of regular basis.

If you only had to tow it once there and once back home, like you were leaving it at the site for the season, you could probably do it. But those trailers are just too big for a half ton truck to be pulling on a regular basis.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by eclark53520
Too much trailer to tow on any type of regular basis.

If you only had to tow it once there and once back home, like you were leaving it at the site for the season, you could probably do it. But those trailers are just too big for a half ton truck to be pulling on a regular basis.
I agree that the max tow would have been a much better option for you. What is the max rating for the truck with the 3.55's? 9,800 or near there?
I have the 5.4 with the max tow (rated at 11,100) and regularly tow a 7,400 pound (empty) TT. All loaded up and ready to go it probably weighs closer to 8,300. My F150 does just fine as long as I stay below 65 MPH and allow plenty of room for stopping. I too wanted to stay at 75 to 80% of the capacity of my truck.
I have a WDH rated at 1K but no helper springs or bags yet...........I am thinking about bagging it, but have not seen the need at this point.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sterlingone
I agree that the max tow would have been a much better option for you. What is the max rating for the truck with the 3.55's? 9,800 or near there?
I have the 5.4 with the max tow (rated at 11,100) and regularly tow a 7,400 pound (empty) TT. All loaded up and ready to go it probably weighs closer to 8,300. My F150 does just fine as long as I stay below 65 MPH and allow plenty of room for stopping. I too wanted to stay at 75 to 80% of the capacity of my truck.
I have a WDH rated at 1K but no helper springs or bags yet...........I am thinking about bagging it, but have not seen the need at this point.

I have the Screw, 6.5' bed, 3.73's, 5.4 with max tow (rated at 11,100 as well) and 17,100 GCWR. I'm towing a 33ft, 6,900 pound dry weight TT, with 800 pounds tongue weight. I figure it's about 8,000 loaded, but haven't taken it across a scale yet. Truck with added options weights 6,200 with the family and almost full tank of gas.

My truck too handles it fine between 55-60 MPH. Don't have many interstates around where we go camping so having to drive faster isn't an issue for me and it's not very hilly either.

I use WD bars that are rated at 800 lbs (they are from my old TT), but am ordering the 1,000 or 1,200 lbs. No air bags or helper springs. I also don't put much in the bed either, just our bicycles.

Quick Reply: How much is too much trailer?