Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I safely remove a Backup Camera and its cord?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 07:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do I safely remove a Backup Camera and its cord?

Hi there. I have a 2013 F150 RWD V8. The previous owner had a cheap backup camera hooked up, it doesn't work. And it has this oh, 8 inch metal strip that covers the top of my license plate horizontally, and that metal plate is ugly and rusty, and blocks the Year of my license plate registration which could lead to me getting pulled over for no reason.

I want to get rid the the backup camera and the plate, so that its just the original screws holding the plate in. But I don't know how he rigged it and the cheap little camera (like a tiny 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch black box with a cord attached) is connected to a power cord of some type and I have no idea where it goes or what it leads to. I don't see a way to detach the little camera box without cutting it, and I don't want to cause electrical issues or short out my system if I take a knife and just cut it off and tie it up with electrical tape to keep it from dragging on the ground.

I don't have a way to lift up the rear so I can really get under there.
Do you think its safe for me to just toss that metal mounting plate in the trash, grab the tiny backup camera and its cord, leave it attached, and just wrap a ton of black 3M electrical tape wherever I can hang it and just leave it be?
Or should i actually take it to a shop where they can lift it and have them follow the cord to where it attaches and remove it properly?
Thanks
I can add photos later if that is needed. its just a cheap best buy backup cam

Old 02-10-2024, 09:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Best guess is that the cord follows the frame on the driver's side of the truck along with the original harness that Ford placed along the frame. You should be able to see the cord if you lay under the driver's side of the truck. It's probably a red and black wire and it probably either enters the cab under the driver's floor mat or through the firewall on the motor side. I think it's best to pull out the wire than leave it there to possibly cause a short when the electrical tape wears off.
The following users liked this post:
InertGas101 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by allikanbe
Best guess is that the cord follows the frame on the driver's side of the truck along with the original harness that Ford placed along the frame. You should be able to see the cord if you lay under the driver's side of the truck. It's probably a red and black wire and it probably either enters the cab under the driver's floor mat or through the firewall on the motor side. I think it's best to pull out the wire than leave it there to possibly cause a short when the electrical tape wears off.
Thanks ill see what I can do.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:18 AM

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Is this truck lowered or something? I find that looking at these wires in the back is very simple without lifting the rear. In different projects, I've added lights to the bumper (and then removed them) and added wires to the gate. I realize my 4x4 has a 1.25" lift that your RWD doesn't, but there is more than 1 inch of space for laying underneath. For some work, the spare tire is in the way and I removed it. For some of the wiring work I did back there, I just lowered it and used it as a headrest.

I would have thought at least following the wire to see how they installed it would be possible.

If you end up taping anything, check out the various models of Tesa tape. It works better than standard electrical tape for the harsh conditions in vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
InertGas101 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Is this truck lowered or something? I find that looking at these wires in the back is very simple without lifting the rear. In different projects, I've added lights to the bumper (and then removed them) and added wires to the gate. I realize my 4x4 has a 1.25" lift that your RWD doesn't, but there is more than 1 inch of space for laying underneath. For some work, the spare tire is in the way and I removed it. For some of the wiring work I did back there, I just lowered it and used it as a headrest.

I would have thought at least following the wire to see how they installed it would be possible.

If you end up taping anything, check out the various models of Tesa tape. It works better than standard electrical tape for the harsh conditions in vehicles.
Oh no its not lowered. I'll take another look today.

Quick Reply: How do I safely remove a Backup Camera and its cord?