Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm, what do you think I should do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Updated with Pics, Hmmm, what do you think I should do? Updated!!

Winter is here and the Pirelli ATR's just don't cut it for me in the snow.

Got some prices today.

Looking for some experiences with the list below (which is what is available locally).

Toyo Open Country I/T with rims (17's) $1631 CDN

GT Radials Champiro Icepro 2 with rims (18's) $1537 CDN

Hercules Avalanche Extreme with rims (17's) $1111 CDN

Blizzaks $294 each CDN

I have always been a Michelin man so some help is required and from that you can likely guess which tire I am leaning towards but I am willing to try new products. I can't tell if the GT Radials are RAC (Rubber Association of Canada) mountain approved. Their website doesn't list them.

Thanks for the help.

Update starts HERE

Well I made a decision. Got a pretty good deal I think. Ford OEM steelies and Michelin Latitude Xice Xi2 for $1518 CDN

So I did this!! The colour is Graphite. Tires come in Wednesday.

Last edited by baldy500; 12-05-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Made a decision
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since I'm from Buffalo NY and I've seen some snow in my day, I few feet yesterday LOL...

from your list I'd go with the Blizzaks, I've run them on my wife's cars for many years now. If you want a year round tire, its not on your list but I like the BFG AT (Michelin company) Thats what I run on my F150
Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srsfunk
Well since I'm from Buffalo NY and I've seen some snow in my day, I few feet yesterday LOL...

from your list I'd go with the Blizzaks, I've run them on my wife's cars for many years now. If you want a year round tire, its not on your list but I like the BFG AT (Michelin company) Thats what I run on my F150
your snow must be different than our snow, I thought the BFG AT's were horrible in snow, they clog and dont clean well. I've run highway tires that were better in snow.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So far so good with Pirellis

Originally Posted by baldy500
Winter is here and the Pirelli ATR's just don't cut it for me in the snow.

Got some prices today.

Looking for some experiences with the list below (which is what is available locally).

Toyo Open Country I/T with rims (17's) $1631 CDN

Hercules Avalanche Extreme with rims (17's) $1111 CDN

Blizzaks $294 each CDN

I have always been a Michelin man so some help is required and from that you can likely guess which tire I am leaning towards but I am willing to try new products. I can't tell if the GT Radials are RAC (Rubber Association of Canada) mountain approved. Their website doesn't list them.

Thanks for the help.
So far I like the Pirrellis. I drove them in 5 inch heavy wet snow last weekend and they were great. I am pretty sure the traction control was very active as well. I was trying to get the truck to slide and between the roll stability thingy and traction control thingy, I couldn't even get the truck to fishtail more than once with the traction control off; it would turn right back on after a sideways slide is sensed. I was tempted to look at snow tires before, but now, not so much. Stopping distance would be improved though.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM

It's stopping that has me concerned. I find the ABS very active in slippery conditions and after a person cut my off at 5am after working all night and me just about rear ending him I thought something better was in order. Just don't know what to do. Herc's are cheap but is that going to improve my stopping distance? Probably but enough to warrant the price? Do I go with something that I know will improve the stopping distance but cost me a small fortune. Or just drive way behind all the idiots that cut people off at 5am and save some money?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainerunr
your snow must be different than our snow, I thought the BFG AT's were horrible in snow, they clog and dont clean well. I've run highway tires that were better in snow.

Now that is funny!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my first season with the GT Radials 275/65/18's. I had them mounted on some used steelies I found locally, should cost under CAD$200 per tire for sure. So far they work well in ice, snow, dry/wet roads, not too noisy. Plus they can be studded if you need to. So far so good here.

Not sure what RAC approved is but they do have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall.

Last edited by pleedell; 12-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pleedell
I'm on my first season with the GT Radials 275/65/18's. I had them mounted on some used steelies I found locally, should cost under CAD$200 per tire for sure. So far they work well in ice, snow, dry/wet roads, not too noisy. Plus they can be studded if you need to. So far so good here.

Not sure what RAC approved is but they do have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall.
Thanks for the info. How's the braking?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I put 4 Blizzak DMV-1 on my 09 screw last year . Their great in the snow and good on ice. I also added about 200lbs in the bed for weight.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. How's the braking?
Braking on ice is quite good. I haven't driven the truck with the stock tires on ice/snow so I can't compare to those. But I've used dunlop graspics on our jetta and winterforce snow tires on our odyssey minivan, the GT-Radials seem on par with the dunlops, and are definitely better than the winterforce.

Quick Reply: Hmmm, what do you think I should do?