Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helper springs on an 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helper springs on an 2011

Has anyone put helper springs on their 2011 and if so what brand, type? Pics if you have them please.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:49 AM
BOOMER-SOONER!!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default x2

I too am interested in this. Planning on buying a travel trailer in the fall and want to beef up the rear suspension

Thinking of going with a set of SuperSprings or a 2" add-a-leaf...
also going to be leveing my ride with a set of Bilsteins
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Supersprings. Do not change ride height/comfort when unloaded. Only comes into play when there is a load.

Easy to install- large C clamp, 3 wrenches. Does not require the removal of anything OEM or undoing the spring plates. Simple.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags for my 2011. I haven't gotten them installed yet but should have them on in the next couple of weeks; waiting to have access to a lift to raise the truck.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CPLMayo
I've got a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags for my 2011. I haven't gotten them installed yet but should have them on in the next couple of weeks; waiting to have access to a lift to raise the truck.
Here are mine. Only problem that I have is that I have to change the amount of air all of the time. For example. If I take my 3500lb empty 20' deckover somewhere I need about 5lbs of air in it, any more than that and the trailer starts bouncing up and down. Then when I get a load on it, I have to up to air but no so much that the trailer is level. It needs to be slightly lower. Right now I have the Shrader valves coming out at the license plate. I am going to "t" them together and see if that makes filling them easier. If not I will buy one of the wireless remote control air compressor systems.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer

Here are mine. Only problem that I have is that I have to change the amount of air all of the time. For example. If I take my 3500lb empty 20' deckover somewhere I need about 5lbs of air in it, any more than that and the trailer starts bouncing up and down. Then when I get a load on it, I have to up to air but no so much that the trailer is level. It needs to be slightly lower. Right now I have the Shrader valves coming out at the license plate. I am going to "t" them together and see if that makes filling them easier. If not I will buy one of the wireless remote control air compressor systems.

100% bolt on right?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=johndeerefarmer;958551]Here are mine. Only problem that I have is that I have to change the amount of air all of the time. For example. If I take my 3500lb empty 20' deckover somewhere I need about 5lbs of air in it, any more than that and the trailer starts bouncing up and down. Then when I get a load on it, I have to up to air but no so much that the trailer is level. It needs to be slightly lower. Right now I have the Shrader valves coming out at the license plate. I am going to "t" them together and see if that makes filling them easier. If not I will buy one of the wireless remote control air compressor systems.[QUOTE=johndeerefarmer;958551]

I would not T them together. You want them to be independent. The reason being is that air will transfer from on bag to the other when cornering and will make your load unstable. I know it isn't the cheapest alternative but I would install a compressor and tank. That will make filling and bleeding them fast, easy and safe. Just my .02! That trailer or yours and what you use it for is a big investment and I just want to help you avoid disaster.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by NorCal-F150
100% bolt on right?
Yes.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM

[quote=ductit;958596][QUOTE=johndeerefarmer;958551]Here are mine. Only problem that I have is that I have to change the amount of air all of the time. For example. If I take my 3500lb empty 20' deckover somewhere I need about 5lbs of air in it, any more than that and the trailer starts bouncing up and down. Then when I get a load on it, I have to up to air but no so much that the trailer is level. It needs to be slightly lower. Right now I have the Shrader valves coming out at the license plate. I am going to "t" them together and see if that makes filling them easier. If not I will buy one of the wireless remote control air compressor systems.

I would not T them together. You want them to be independent. The reason being is that air will transfer from on bag to the other when cornering and will make your load unstable. I know it isn't the cheapest alternative but I would install a compressor and tank. That will make filling and bleeding them fast, easy and safe. Just my .02! That trailer or yours and what you use it for is a big investment and I just want to help you avoid disaster.
I don't much see how cornering with a bumper pull trailer is going to force the air to move from one bag to the other. Only problem is see is that if you load stuff in the bed uneven, the air would move from side to side.
BTW, I don't remember but either Firestone or Airlift recommend doing it that way.

Thanks for the info, I will do some more investigating
Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=johndeerefarmer;958704][quote=ductit;958596]

I don't much see how cornering with a bumper pull trailer is going to force the air to move from one bag to the other. Only problem is see is that if you load stuff in the bed uneven, the air would move from side to side.
BTW, I don't remember but either Firestone or Airlift recommend doing it that
way.
Thanks for the info, I will do some more investigating
I do remember seeing that somewhere too. A friend of mind tried that on his 250 and noticed that it was unstable. He towed all sorts of trailers. He got the money for a compressor and tank and the problem was solved.

Quick Reply: Helper springs on an 2011