Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated/ Cooled Seats- Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated/ Cooled Seats- Drivers

New member here. Have 2011 Lariat CC with 5.0, 44k miles.
Just other day heated drivers seat seemed to stop working. I have the heat - cool combo. I see that there are several other posts regarding matter but nothing totally concrete- everyone seems to have a slightly different issue.
Passengers seat works fine, but on the drivers seat when you push heat button it lights up, can hear relay click under passengers seat, and seat appears to turn on initially- can hear fans, but after few seconds cuts out.
Tested few times and appears that the cooling function works properly, but if switch to heat it will die, then both heat and cool will not work, although light on switch still remains on.
After shutting off truck and turning on again, system "resets" itself and will work but same thing occurs.
Obviously truck is out of warranty so avoiding trip to dealer would be sweet. Any thoughts?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the air filter off of the drivers side and try it. Possibly blocked and the system is overheating on the heat setting and turning itself off?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine driver seat would act the very same. I didn't test or try the passenger seat. I have no idea if it as adversely affected. To remedy mine. I pulled fuse 69 under the hood for about 15 minutes. Plugged it back in and haven't had an issue since.

Under the hood in the power distribution box, center above radiator, pull fuse #69 (30A) and put it back after 15 minutes. Validate if it's blown. Use a continuity or Ohm meter if needed.

Last edited by joedotmac; 10-17-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks for ideas. Tested a few different options. With no one sitting in drivers seat system works fine. Someone in another post mentioned something about duct work in seat. I wonder if it does have a overheating shutoff that is triggered by clogged ducts when weight put on seat? I took filter off and that is not it, but allowed me to determine ok fan operation. Might just be simple connection.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Same problem with my 12 when I bought it with 62k miles. I removed the filter and it cited the problem. My drivers seat does not get as hot or cold as the passenger so I'm sure the ducting in my seat is collapses/cracked. It can be replaced if you remove the seat and bottom cushion, just hasn't been high on my priority list since it does technically work and I seldom use it anyway.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

I've got a 2011 with 43,000 miles on it. Time to change the seat filter? Can I buy one at Autozone and is it easy to replace?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

No, it's a ford only part and its like 20 bucks. I just left mine off, it works better that way anyway, more air flow.
The following users liked this post:
Fordman1979! (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDhockeydad
New member here. Have 2011 Lariat CC with 5.0, 44k miles.
Just other day heated drivers seat seemed to stop working. I have the heat - cool combo. I see that there are several other posts regarding matter but nothing totally concrete- everyone seems to have a slightly different issue.
Passengers seat works fine, but on the drivers seat when you push heat button it lights up, can hear relay click under passengers seat, and seat appears to turn on initially- can hear fans, but after few seconds cuts out.
Tested few times and appears that the cooling function works properly, but if switch to heat it will die, then both heat and cool will not work, although light on switch still remains on.
After shutting off truck and turning on again, system "resets" itself and will work but same thing occurs.
Obviously truck is out of warranty so avoiding trip to dealer would be sweet. Any thoughts?
I have a very similar issue. What I've been able to do in order to deal with it is to cycle quickly past the high setting to the medium setting. Then it will work like it should (on the medium setting). Sometimes if I subsequently cycle back to high it works on high and other times it shuts off like you describe. Not a perfect solution, but I did all the same research you did and figure this is a better way to deal with it than some of the things I read. In FL, I use the heater function about 2 times a year anyway.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 AM

UPDATE
This AM stayed on for 10 minutes- worked fine when went to drop daughter at school. Shut off truck, walked daughter to door, came back started truck and seat turned on then 15 sec off again.
Problem appears to be intermittent then. IF temp sensor or overheat shutoff, possible functioned properly when vehicle first started and cold?
Anyone get anything concrete back from dealer or ford?

Quick Reply: Heated/ Cooled Seats- Drivers