Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headlight Experience

OK, I can't imagine this is the first time someone has asked this, but with a few searches I couldn't find my answer, so here we go.

I just ordered a pair of harley OEM tail lights, and was about to order some OEM Head lights as well when these came up in the suggested items list.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131013036639?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D131013036639%26_rdc%3D1

My question is, does anyone here have experience with this particular product? Normally I'm from the "buy once, cry once" camp, but they seem to be well received at least from ebay users, and it's hard justifying the OEM price on headlights just to go from chrome to black with no performance upgrade.

I know, nut up and buy some retros... and the day I bust a headlight, I probably will.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Those are cheaper than the headlights i had to buy for my 'bird when i rear ended Jesus (seriously)! Those looks pretty cool with the black bezels, i would buy them and hit them with a light coat of nightshades and some silverstar bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
EcoBoosted11 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nearly 180 views and no one has any experience with them huh? Fair enough, I might be the lab rat on this one. I'm having a hard time with this one, on one shoulder I have my wallet screaming "Do it, they're cheap!" on the other, I have reason yelling " Dude, you know better, buy the right product the first time!"
I'll report back when I figure it out I guess...
Old 07-24-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

No experience with those particular headlamp housings, however, in general the Taiwanese offerings are of lower quality - fit, finish, and durability.

Also notice that no bulbs are included. Since you can swap your existing bulbs it's NBD, however, OEM includes the bulbs.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low co$t is forgotten.
The following users liked this post:
STingray1300 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The biggest problem I hear of when ppl buy the knock offs on ebay is condensation or water build up due to a poor seal on the headlamp lens.

If your just going for the look and not worried about it long term I'd say it would be okay
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Any update on this? Did you end up buying the headlights?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Poor Boy Raptor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought some cheapies from Amazon and immediately returned them. Right out of the box, the plastic tab that bolts to the top of the core support was broken.

Tried to look past it then got to installing them and the fitment was garbage. The passenger housing wouldn't even go in all the way and there was a 1/2" gap between the headlight and fender.

Do yourself a favor and but OEM. You can find them for $250 with free shipping on Amazon.

Could be worse, look up the price for OEM HID headlights....
Old 01-03-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

I second the above concerns. I tried out a pair of aftermarket headlamps on my Ranger and the fit on them was god awful, I couldn't believe how bad it was. It even seemed like the reflector itself wasn't throwing as good a beam as the OE's. I returned them after a day of cringing.
I also had a pair of aftermarket corners for that truck and it was so easy to get water in them when washing it that I had to run masking tape over them every single time I washed her.
That being said, I think not all aftermarket parts suck. I bought a pair of LED tails for that truck , ran a bead of butyl around the mating edge to ensure a good water seal, and theyve been wonderful for me, no regrets with those. Also a few ppl here have aftermarket ebay side mirrors w/ blinkers because they wanted to upgrade to mirrors with blinkers and they have no problems. Its trial and error and it depends on the part in question. Always try to find some reviews if you can. I refuse to buy aftermarket headlamps after my experiences and others reviews. But there are other parts I'd consider.

Last edited by johndog82; 01-03-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Experience