Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my first hit and run experience...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Had my first hit and run experience...

Tonight while returning from dinner I was waiting at a red light and when it turned green I proceeded through the light and in the corner of my eye I see a car approaching my door at about 45-50 mph and before I had time to do anything he came across the back of my truck ripping off most of my rear bumper, bending the driver side of my bed in, jamming the bumper into my tail gate and bending my rear hitch. The impact was hard enough to lift the rear end of my truck up and move it over. Thankfully all the crazy little electronic safety stuff kicked in and kept me straight. The driver never stopped and fled the scene. Witnesses reported him traveling at least 50mph. Police are looking for the car but I'm not counting on much. Here are a few pics I took. Ill try to get better ones in the light and let you know what the insurance company says. But over all I'm upset about it all but very grateful I wasn't hurt and as the cop said "your lucky you were in a truck" wish me luck on the damage totals and insurance company. My biggest fear is I think the frame may have bent because the hitch was pushed over almost 2 inches.
Attached Thumbnails Had my first hit and run experience...-image-3083166253.jpg   Had my first hit and run experience...-image-2579178075.jpg   Had my first hit and run experience...-image-3103740786.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Holy crap, you're lucky you got even a foot farther than you did, otherwise your truck would be in a different way. I have dealt with an "attempted" hit and run before. I was waiting at the mall for my friend to come out when some guy backed his car hard into my trailer hitch when I was sitting in my truck. Took off most of his bumper. He tried to drive away but I threw it in reverse and blocked his ***. No damage to the truck at all, but I bought another hitch just to be safe.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch!! Glad you're ok. Hopefully the moron who hit you gets caught or finds a telephone pole in the near future. It's unbelievable how stupid some drivers are these days, it's just not worth it to be in a hurry behind the wheel. People don't realize that it takes only a split second for something to go wrong. Anyhow.....I'm sure insurance will take care of ya. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Treiz (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

Glad to hear your OK!!......sorry about your truck that really sux!!!!!!
good luck!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

So good news! Only a few moments after posting this the police called me back and said they found a vehicle quiches matched the description. The damage to their vehicle matches the accident and they pulled paint from my truck that matches the car. It's insured and registered so they impounded it and are attempting to get ahold of the owners. The police said judging by the damage to both vehicles they estimate the driver was moving at approximately 60mph. The whole front of the car almost to the wind shield was smashed it. I could see in the pictures where it looks like my hitch hit either his engine block or something solid. Bad news is that my whole bed and back end in general looks like its tweaked up and to the right. Like I said see what the insurance says. Hopefully it get it settled but most importantly I'm at home in good health telling this story not in a hospital bed which I could have easily ended up in.
The following 4 users liked this post by FX4ford:
B-xp (02-21-2013), DutchdogFX4 (02-21-2013), Grandpa's Grocery Getter (02-21-2013), SkiSmuggs (03-05-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 AM

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad to hear your ok. That definitely could have been really bad. Thank God you were a nano second faster. I was in an accident last April with my 2011 F150. I was driving 35mph (Speed limit was 45) coming up on an intersection when this Ford Explorer full of Mexicans drives out infront of me from between cars that were to my left in the left hand turning lane. He couldn't see me and was trying trying to cut across lanes of traffic to enter the EXIT ONLY to a gas station. I T-boned his front passenger side and snapped the front passenger wheel off the SUV pushed it under his vehicle along with crushing the whole front passenger side. There were 8 passengers in the SUV including a 5yr old little girl not wear her seat belt. If he was a second faster it would have been really bad for that little girl and the passengers. They took the driver of the SUV to Jail. I was ok but it really freaked me out to see that little girl, I would have hit her because she was next to the door on the passenger side. To this day I still get freaked out driving through that intersection. The DOT installed barriers now to keep drivers from trying to cross lanes of traffic to enter the exit only to that gas station.

On a side note I will say that these F150's are toughest trucks on the road cause I could have drove mine if the front bumper was not pushed into my driver side tire. I wound up getting a whole new front end.

Last edited by BoostedFx; 02-21-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sorry about you getting hit....my guess is there was alcohol involved...just hope the cops can find the little miscreant before he sobers up all the way
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
King Ranchin' Member

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Glad your alright, the truck, it'll buff out! Haha, but hopefully insurance will be good to you!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

man that sucks. it's sad people don't have enough respect to stop and say sorry i screwed up. but they were probably texting or drinking as someone else said. hope your truck gets fixed allright.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

that sux

Quick Reply: Had my first hit and run experience...