Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FX4 purchase. Take-off wheel value? Bed step options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default FX4 purchase. Take-off wheel value? Bed step options?

Getting ready to buy my F150. Thought I would have to order, but in the past week or so, dealers have finally gotten a couple that might work. What I want is:
  • FX4
  • SCREW, 157" wheelbase
  • Tuxedo Black or Sterling Gray
  • EcoBoost
  • Luxury Package
  • Tailgate step
  • LT Tires

Here's the two I've found that are pretty close (Crew/EcoBoost/longbed is a not-so-common combo around here. Add FX4 and Lux package to the list, and there are very few around the entire region.)

Dealer #1
  • FX4
  • SCREW, 157" wheelbase
  • Sterling Gray
  • EcoBoost
  • Luxury Package
  • FX Running boards
  • Bed access side steps
  • **Missing Pickup Bed Step**
  • **Missing LT Tires**
or

Dealer #2
  • FX4
  • SCREW, 157" wheelbase
  • Tuxedo Black
  • EcoBoost
  • Luxury Package
  • Pickup Bed Step
  • Moonroof
  • FX Running boards
  • Bed access side steps
  • 20" Wheels
I could just order exactly what I want, but I'm not a super patient person. Also, with the minor Ford price increase and the likely expiration of my $750 private cash brochure coupon if I order, I'm looking at about $850 extra assuming rebates stay the same. And if I ordered, no Tuxedo black. So I'm thinking about the options above...

Option #1
Can live without the LT tires, and I guess I can live with the factory running boards and side steps instead of the N-fab I was planning on, but I really wanted the pickup bed step. I don't mind so much hopping in the back, but the steps would be very helpful for wife/kids/etc.

Does anybody have any experience with this Amp bed step?

It looks like the best option I've seen other than the factory step, which is prohibitively expensive to add if it doesn't come with the truck.

Anybody try one of these steps? How does it compare to the factory bed step?

Option #2
Moonroof would be nice, but I probably wouldn't spring for it if I was ordering. Same issues with running boards and side steps. This one does come with the bed step, and has the Tuxedo black which holds a very slight preference for me in color choice. But the 20" wheels just don't work for my needs. I need excellent snow traction, and like to run an aggressive snow/all-season year round. The Scorpions would have to be pulled by the end of the Summer at the latest, and the choices for tires that would work for me in 20" size are limited and expensive. Plus, I simply like the look of the machined 18" FX wheels better, so I'm spending an extra $627 for wheels and tires I like less.

What do you think the second-hand craigslist/ebay/F150forum value is for a set of new take-off 20" wheels and scorpion tires?

What should I budget for a set of aftermarket wheels that look like the OEM machined wheels with LT tires?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Go Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO it wouldn't be particularly difficult to find someone to trade with, but I am not sure if you would be able to recoup the added cost. IMHO factory 20s from the 2011 FX4 w/ low/no mileage Scorpions should sell for no less than $1300.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Id go with option number two. Dealer should be able to swap out any wheels and tires you want.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post a few weeks ago about the step, and if memory serves it was favorable all around. I think it's the most brilliant thing I have ever seen, and am convincing my wife that the step will make her but look like that also … needless to say she didn't find it as funny as me.

Luck with your truck!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 AM

i bought the AMP Bed Step. It's awesome. Took 5 min to install. Much nicer than the OEM one when you've got a trailer on the back. Cheaper too.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to trade in my tires at a local tire store and get the LT's I needed. They had to have less than 300 miles but the trade vale was only a couple bucks less than Discount Tires price for a new set. Best thing I did to my truck
Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

I also just got that amp bedstep, but its been raining and my garage isnt big enough to put it on yet, probably get it on today. It looks to be way cheaper and better placement than the factory one like the above poster said.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 AM

i would go with option no. 2 , i have the factory tailgate step and to be honest it makes me nervous using it.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

I should also add that I have the 20" pirellis, as do a few other people that I know in my area. They ran them all winter with no problems, but i switched mine out for cooper discover m/s tires, cost me 1000$ but I noticed a huge difference. I know I couldve ran pirellis all winter, but I didnt really care about the 1000$. Never had actual snow tires before, wanted to see what all the hype was about, lol!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude if u get the 20" fx rims, I'll trade u for the 18's

Quick Reply: FX4 purchase. Take-off wheel value? Bed step options?