Front axles stuck in 4wd while in 2wd, cant spin them by hand - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
Front axles stuck in 4wd while in 2wd, cant spin them by hand >

Front axles stuck in 4wd while in 2wd, cant spin them by hand

Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.

Front axles stuck in 4wd while in 2wd, cant spin them by hand

 
Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 PM
  #1  
OG
Thread Starter
 
cmbezln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,464
Thanked 236 Times in 188 Posts
Default Front axles stuck in 4wd while in 2wd, cant spin them by hand

So after doing some research, i found that the front axles should spin freely in 2wd. I just went out and checked and confirmed that my front axles are not spinning freely and are locked.

Other than getting basically 4wd gas mileage all the time the truck is driving fine...but is there anything I can do to fix this myself? I tried re-engaging and disengaging the locking rear dif and 4wd system a bunch of different ways and it's still stuck.

Is this something only the dealer can fix?
cmbezln is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 969
Thanked 163 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Likely the IWE - google it and you'll find videos on how to open it up and clean/lubricate them. Could be that or a vacuum leak.
chickenwire is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 06:08 PM
  #3  
The Light Guy
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 239
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Try it with the engine running. The hubs are vacuum operated and I believe they need to see vacuum to spin freely
Alex Kenison is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Kenison For This Useful Post:
RES4CUE (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 101
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Man...I kinda miss the old days with the manual locking hubs. My truck doesn't even have a lever for 4x4...just a dial on the dash.


Progress I suppose...
Mercenary is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mercenary For This Useful Post:
arokcrwlr (12-28-2015), RES4CUE (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 08:02 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 582
Thanked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Alex Kenison View Post
Try it with the engine running. The hubs are vacuum operated and I believe they need to see vacuum to spin freely
THIS. Truck is in 4x4 when the engine is off. Turning on the engine (or accessories I dunno), and vacuum disconnects hubs.
MEZERR is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:44 PM
  #6  
OG
Thread Starter
 
cmbezln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,464
Thanked 236 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Alex Kenison View Post
Try it with the engine running. The hubs are vacuum operated and I believe they need to see vacuum to spin freely
I tested it with the engine running originally, wouldn't spin.
cmbezln is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:46 PM
  #7  
OG
Thread Starter
 
cmbezln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,464
Thanked 236 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Man...I kinda miss the old days with the manual locking hubs. My truck doesn't even have a lever for 4x4...just a dial on the dash.


Progress I suppose...
I hear ya, certainly doesn't feel like progress sometimes.
cmbezln is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 PM
  #8  
One Clean Machine
iTrader: (5)
 
Toddman38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,461
Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,329 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Alex Kenison View Post
Try it with the engine running. The hubs are vacuum operated and I believe they need to see vacuum to spin freely
Originally Posted by MEZERR View Post
THIS. Truck is in 4x4 when the engine is off. Turning on the engine (or accessories I dunno), and vacuum disconnects hubs.
Wrong fellas... Trucks not in 4x4, when engine is off! If it is you have a issue as well!

Mine wiil spin freely, as it should when off and not in 4x4....


The dealer Can fix it. My local dealer had to fix, when Tire Plaza screwed up my IWEs installing new struts recently! Cost Tire Plaza in Festus, about 700.00 to pay for theyre screw up.
Toddman38 is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Ssls6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dallas/San Jose
Posts: 806
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
So after doing some research, i found that the front axles should spin freely in 2wd. I just went out and checked and confirmed that my front axles are not spinning freely and are locked.

Other than getting basically 4wd gas mileage all the time the truck is driving fine...but is there anything I can do to fix this myself? I tried re-engaging and disengaging the locking rear dif and 4wd system a bunch of different ways and it's still stuck.

Is this something only the dealer can fix?
I'm guessing you put on a lift kit and now have a vacuum leak. I'd get under the truck and check those lines.
Ssls6 is offline  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:48 PM
  #10  
OG
Thread Starter
 
cmbezln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,464
Thanked 236 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Likely the IWE - google it and you'll find videos on how to open it up and clean/lubricate them. Could be that or a vacuum leak.
I'll look into that, thanks. I made a dealer appointment since its still under powertrain, so hopefully they'd cover that if its bad, although seems like they're pretty cheap.

Currently in the middle of an ice storm but I'll check that and the vac connections when I'm able. Thanks guys.
cmbezln is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front axles stuck in 4wd while in 2wd, cant spin them by hand


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: