Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford OEM remote start issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Ford OEM remote start issues

It seems like half the time I go to remote start my truck it will crank for .5seconds and die. then when i try to restart it simply beeps at me. Anyone experience this? The other half it performs flawlessly.

2011 5.0 , OEM remote start.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a few times where my remote acted strange and honked... I didn't listen if it was cranking, but after a short while it would honk after not starting. The first time it did this, I found out my wife had shut the truck off while it was in gear then put it in park, so I thought that was the problem. Since then, I've had it happen a few more times when I knew I drove it.

Now that you mention the crank/no start, I'll listen when I start it by remote.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Try a new battery in your remote first. You are not along. If you do a search "remote start" you will find that there are many of us in the same boat you are. On a good day I can start mine from the next county over, and on a bad day I can't start it standing next to the darn thing.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's one I started a while back. It might be helpful.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/remote-...orning-240558/
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's escape is doing the same thing, short crank, stops, chirps once. Let me know what you find out.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by gn85
I've had a few times where my remote acted strange and honked... I didn't listen if it was cranking, but after a short while it would honk after not starting. The first time it did this, I found out my wife had shut the truck off while it was in gear then put it in park, so I thought that was the problem. Since then, I've had it happen a few more times when I knew I drove it.

Now that you mention the crank/no start, I'll listen when I start it by remote.
I'm experiencing the same.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I had this happen once to me. Like the guy above said, it was because I shut the truck in drive (brain fart). The next morning the remote start wouldn't work. I had to go outside, turn the truck on with the key, shut it off and then the remote start worked just fine. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Hey guys,

Definitely bring this up the next time you're at your dealership; they'll check things out and make recommendations for next steps. Following your diagnosis, shoot a PM my way if you need extra help; I'm always happy to do what I can to assist.

Crystal
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more on this half second crank crap?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had the exact same problem with my '13 FX4 5.0 since it was brand new. I also had the exact same issue with the brand new '13 demo FX4 Ecoboost I took home before my purchase.

Here are the symptoms I experience a significant percent of the time:

1. Hit lock, then engine start 2x
2. Either nothing happens (doesn't crank at all), or engine starts to barely crank and then stops.

If I try a second (third, etc) time I will often get a horn beep and no crank. Dealer says that they've never heard of this before, and of course it is difficult to duplicate upon command.

Replacing the remote key fob battery seems to make things better for a while, but not consistently.

One thing that I've found that seems to get around the no remote start issue is to press the lock button, press the unlock button, press the lock button again, then press the start engine button 2x...this seems to temporarily 'reset' the issue and always allows a remote start.

Also when the remote start is acting up the working distance of the remote key fob seems to be drastically reduced. I can often predict when the remote start will fail since I have to be much closer than normal to get the truck to respond to the remote in any fashion. When it's working from across the parking lot I do not seem to experience the failure to start condition.

Clearly a defect that Ford has not addressed.

Last edited by dkushner; 01-06-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford OEM remote start issues