Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust pipe differences ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default exhaust pipe differences ???

Im looking at either the Dynomax or Magnaflow pre built muffler packages to have installed. Our one and only muffler shop say's that his aluminum pipes are thicker than the stainless ones that come with the packages and will last longer.

Is this a sales pitch he's telling to get me to have him build to order aluminum at his shop ? Or are stainless, even if thinner as he states, will last longer ????

Curious minds want to know.
Thanks...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of an aluminum exhaust system. I have heard of aluminized, but believe that is just coated regular steel. I would role with a stainless system.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTR-P
Never heard of an aluminum exhaust system. I have heard of aluminized, but believe that is just coated regular steel. I would role with a stainless system.
Your probably right. Its just the regular pipe material. He said because we dont use salt up here in Alberta the thicker pipes will last as long as the thinner stainless ones. Could be right I guess. And the stainless ones are abit more expensive.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 72mustang
Your probably right. Its just the regular pipe material. He said because we dont use salt up here in Alberta the thicker pipes will last as long as the thinner stainless ones. Could be right I guess. And the stainless ones are abit more expensive.
Stainless will outlast the truck aluminized not so much and the R&d and mandrel bends in the aftermarket kits by Banks. Magnaflo etc is propably much beter than somthing thrown together at a local muffler shop

Last edited by bubbabud; 04-18-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: exhaust pipe differences ???