Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Fumes in Cab on Long Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust Fumes in Cab on Long Road Trip

We took my 2014 Lariat (Eco-Boost, 3.5) on a ~450 mile road trip from Pennsylvania to Virginia yesterday. It was an easy trip, not towing anything. It was interstate all the way, with the cruise control set at 70MPH. About half way there we started smelling exhaust fumes. By the time we arrived, I had a raging headache, and we were driving with the windows open - not very pleasant at 30 degrees (f). I searched the forum for threads on similar subjects, and didn't find anything. So, I wonder if anybody has experienced similar issues. I'll need to bring the truck to the dealer when we get back to PA. It always helps to go in there armed with a little background.

The truck has about 10,000 miles on it, and otherwise hasn't had any mechanical issues. I have previously taken a couple similar long road trips towing my motorcycle trailer with this same truck. It did not have this issue on those trips.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Any addition volume to the truck indicating an exhaust leak ? If you do a cold start and look under the truck perhaps you can see the exhaust coming out ?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd swear when sitting still in my f150 I smell exhaust, but i thought maybe i was imagining it.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Would a cracked exhaust manifold under the hood cause this?
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yes, any crack in a manifold or converter/pipe and/or leaky gasket could leak exhaust into the cab, definitely something to have checked out ASAP and taken seriously. Plus at ~10k miles you are still in the 80K emissions warranty
Old 01-02-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Robob
yes, any crack in a manifold or converter/pipe and/or leaky gasket could leak exhaust into the cab, definitely something to have checked out ASAP and taken seriously. Plus at ~10k miles you are still in the 80K emissions warranty
Thought so. I had a cracked manifold in my last F150, and there was noticeable fumes on startup and while driving. Went away when the dealer found the issue and repaired. I'd have that checked out right away.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:13 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Exhaust leaking into the passenger compartment is nothing to be taken lightly. I think I'd just be a little late getting back, and get it in to a dealer ASAP. Explain the situation, and maybe they could get you right in. Better to be in your truck when you arrive back in Va., than a casket.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Update: Return Trip

We drove back from VA to PA last night. Before driving back I bought a battery powered CO detector with a digital readout to provide an objective way to determine whether we were getting fumes in the passenger compartment. The good news is, we didn't smell a thing. And, the CO detector never showed anything other than "0" on the readout. The less than good news is the issue is, apparently, intermittent. I will bring the truck into my dealer. (My Battery Saver screen was coming up again during the trip, so it will have to go back for that again, anyway.) But, I'm anticipating they will not be able to replicate the fumes issue and will tell me there is nothing they can do.

Thanks, everybody, for your feedback.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Fumes in Cab on Long Road Trip