Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine quits when parked downhill and low on fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine quits when parked downhill and low on fuel

Hey everyone, I'm new on here and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced my problem.

I have a 2012 F150 Crew. When home, my truck is always parked on the driveway, facing downhill so I don't have to back out on our street. When there's less than 88 miles to go on the fuel gauge, the truck will stall out after 5-7 minutes. This can be a problem when de-icing or defogging in the winter.

I had a 2006 F150 for 4 years and never had this issue.

Is there anyone else out there who has had this happen?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

Are you asking for a fix?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 AM
F150 Forum

Received 350 Likes on 285 Posts

At first, I thought "this guy is a moron.." but after reading it, you shouldn't be stalling out with that much fuel left in your tank.. I mean hell, how steep is this hill?!!? I park downhill on my steep driveway and I notice my fuel gauge hit E.. and that's under 30 miles til E
Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep. My wife's 2010 F150 stalled and wouldn't start and it had about a 1/3 of a tank. Called Ford and they towed it. The tow truck driver even got it on flat ground and tried to start it, but it wouldn't. Of course once at the dealer it started just fine...arrgghh

The new estimates to empty really suck once less than 1/2 tank and parked on a slope, nose down. I can start with less than 10 or even 0 miles to empty and then once I am driving for 10 plus minutes I've seen it jump as high as 150-180 miles to empty.

My truck recently died while parked the same way, but I used remote start and didn't get out there for awhile so I started it again. It actually shut down on low oil pressure sometime during the second start. I got it on flat ground and started it again and never seen the problem again, but to say the least I was a bit freaked.

On the 4x4 app my driveway is a 13 degree slope.

Last edited by gwpfan; 05-24-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, that is normal. Keep more fuel in the tank. Simple fix. I park nose down also and if low on fuel than it dies if running for 5 min or so. Put it in neutral and coast out of your drive then restart, fires right up. Not ideal but you gotta put gas in anyway. Plus fill her up when getting below 1/4 tank and your wife will be happy she never has to get gas to get somewhere when she's already running late.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Planner48 ... Is there anyone else out there who has had this happen?
Only to the "too stupid to live" people, bless their hearts.

You're talking about a 36Gal (assumed) fuel tank that has ~5 gallons of gasoline. Which would mean that ON THE LEVEL there would be ~¾" of fuel covering the bottom of the tank. *AND ... All of this is dependent upon how accurate the MTE is.

You do realize that you're not only running-out of fuel, you're also ...
  • shortening the life of your fuel pump. *The gasoline cools the fuel pump.
  • promoting condensation in the tank (and the fuel).
  • in general, stressing the fuel delivery system and engine operation.
  • not to mention the incovenience and potentially dangerous situation(s) that you're KNOWINGLY causing.
Keep the tank AT LEAST ½ full.

Last edited by gDMJoe; 05-24-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep the tank at least 1/2 full my unowhat. This is a fuel pickup design issue and shouldn't be happening. You could be stranded in the middle of nowhere even though there is enough fuel to get you 50 miles or more on flat land. No doubt a design issue. I'd make an NHTSA complaint.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 377 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by canddmeyer
Keep the tank at least 1/2 full my unowhat. This is a fuel pickup design issue and shouldn't be happening. You could be stranded in the middle of nowhere even though there is enough fuel to get you 50 miles or more on flat land. No doubt a design issue. I'd make an NHTSA complaint.
It's a safety issue because you can't let a truck that is nearly out of fuel idle on an incline for 5 -7 minutes without starving for fuel? This is a well documented occurrence with most brands. It only happens when idling on an incline when nearly empty. If you are low on fuel and tip the tank in one direction, guess what? You'll stall eventually. Easy to fix though. Park in the other direction, don't idle so long before driving away, park on a level surface, or don't run so low on fuel before parking that way.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Only to the "too stupid to live" people, bless their hearts.
Wow, old internet geezers, bless their hearts.

My 95 had two tanks. I would run the first tank until the truck sputtered, sometimes it would actually die, switch over to the other tank. I bought that truck at 60K and drove it like that until 192K. Only thing I did was general maintenance, replaced a window motor and 4x4 hubs. Also my rear tank I would run as the first tank and then once that was out I would go to my front tank. I was told the same thing, you'll burn out the fuel pump, but never did. Maybe I was lucky, but working around pumps and such they are pretty tough. You just don't want to run them too long dry.

Granted now that I've had my new one die on low oil pressure I won't be remote starting in while parked on the slope. I hate spending time at the gas station, try to only fill up once I need to.

So would parking in the other direction help? I don't know where the fuel pickup is, seems a bit odd they would run it to the far side of the tank, more material cost. I would think the pickup would be in the center, but never looked.

Quick Reply: Engine quits when parked downhill and low on fuel